Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Network password setting - Outlook

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There should be no problems (other than the users must change their settings) if you change POP3 & IMAP to a secure connection. You should also get them to use Port 587 for the Submission port rather than Port 25, port 587 will also require them to authenticate before thy can send email.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

getridoff is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There should be no problems (other than the users must change their settings) if you change POP3 & IMAP to a secure connection. You should also get them to use Port 587 for the Submission port rather than Port 25, port 587 will also require them to authenticate before thy can send email.
    Hi phoenix,

Then it shouldnt be a problem for both sides as well (client and admin) to change the settings. By default, the zimbra server accepting port 25 without authentication, am i rite ? So i just need to change the port to secure which is 587, rite ? Is there any configuration for this port changing, or i simply can set it up on my zimbra server admin site ?

Quote Originally Posted by getridoff View Post
    Hi phoenix,

Then it shouldnt be a problem for both sides as well (client and admin) to change the settings. By default, the zimbra server accepting port 25 without authentication, am i rite ? So i just need to change the port to secure which is 587, rite ? Is there any configuration for this port changing, or i simply can set it up on my zimbra server admin site ?
    You'll find that port 587 is already available to use and does require a user to authenticate, there's nothing you need to do in the Admin UI for that. Port 25 is always open and doesn't require authentication as that's how mail servers connect to each other.
    Regards

Bill

You'll find that port 587 is already available to use and does require a user to authenticate, there's nothing you need to do in the Admin UI for that. Port 25 is always open and doesn't require authentication as that's how mail servers connect to each other.
    Ok, as far from my understanding,like this. If im using port 25 to connect, it's open and it will connect just like that. But if i use port 587, it will authenticate first with the mail server, whether the user exits or not in the mail server, then it will send the emails to that particular users.Am i rite ?

Quote Originally Posted by getridoff View Post
    Ok, as far from my understanding,like this. If im using port 25 to connect, it's open and it will connect just like that. But if i use port 587, it will authenticate first with the mail server, whether the user exits or not in the mail server, then it will send the emails to that particular users.Am i rite ?
    No, you're not. Port 587 is for external clients (Thunderbird, Outlook etc.) to use as their Submission port i.e. they submit their email through that port - it will get delivered to a user on your server or sent to another person on another server (that's a relay). When they use port 587 they will have to Authenticate and they must exist on your Zimbra server. When someone sends you an email they send it via another mail server and that connects to your server on Port 25 and doesn't require authentication.
    Regards

Bill

No, you're not. Port 587 is for external clients (Thunderbird, Outlook etc.) to use as their Submission port i.e. they submit their email through that port - it will get delivered to a user on your server or sent to another person on another server (that's a relay). When they use port 587 they will have to Authenticate and they must exist on your Zimbra server. When someone sends you an email they send it via another mail server and that connects to your server on Port 25 and doesn't require authentication.
    Hi phoenix,

Thank you so much for your fast n kind reply, which solves my problems! And now im on my way to tuning the anti spam feature which will makes my zimbra server less spam, if i can... anyhow, thanks you again phoenix!..i shall marked this as solved either!

regards,

getridoff

You're welcome, enjoy.
    Regards

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information