Thread: time syncronization with external ntp server from zimbra 6.0.2

fathianf is offline Intermediate Member

Default time syncronization with external ntp server from zimbra 6.0.2

Hi, I would like to sync zimbra with our external ntp server. I have set my OS and it works but zimbra is one hour back as in my country we have day-light saving for 6 month of the year, so zimbra time is fine for just half of the year. Please let me know how to change my time from GMT+3.30 to ntp server or is there any place to set for day light saving.

LMStone is offline Moderator

You will need to run your operating system's NTP daemon, and configure in the /etc/ntp.conf file the fqdns or IP addresses of the external time servers you wish to use as references.

Once configured, your system should update with Daylight Savings changes automagically.

There are also time zone settings in Zimbra you may wish to review in the Admin Console.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

fathianf is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks Mark, I have already set my OS with ntp server and it works but zimbra has beeb configured with GMT+3:30 (Tehran) without day light saving. Please tell me where can I set day light saving in zimbra.

LMStone is offline Moderator

OK, so at the risk of telling you something you already know...

When you set up your server, we like to set the clock to UTC and then set the time zone for where the server actually is hosted, along with using the ntp.org server pools for the region where the server is hosted.

In Zimbra, when you do the Zimbra install, there is an opportunity to set a default time zone, which we change to match that of the server.

Together, the above two ensure you have an accurate clock on your server which should automatically capture daylight savings time changes -- for the server, but not necessarily for the users!

So, when you create a new domain in Zimbra, one of the fields to fill out is a default time zone applicable just to that domain. This can be different than the time zone set above for the server.

Similarly, when you create a new user mailbox, you can also set a time zone just for that mailbox. This too can be different than the time zone for the domain or the server.

Our servers are hosted in the United States East Coast, so the servers are set to use Eastern Standard Time. But we have hosting clients all over the country (and some over seas), so a client whose main office is in California will have their domain set with Pacific Time. That same client may have an office in Indiana, so the users there have their mailbox set for Indiana time (which has unusual Daylight Savings Time rules which don't match those on the east and west coasts...).

Now, when we set up a conference call meeting with the CFO in California and the head of Sales in Indiana, the meeting invites for everyone accurately reflects their respective local time, and everyone dials in at the same time.

With time zones set in this way, the time stamps in the email headers reflect local times each step of the way too, which makes problem solving easier as well.

Again, apologies if I am telling you some things you already know. Just thought I should share with you what we do from start to finish, and why.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information