Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a preferred distribution??

natrixgli is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfinke
    What are you doing for data replication? You are not using a SAN with $300 machines, correct??

No, no, no - nothing nearly that sophisticated. Each night at 12:05am Zimbra shuts down for a few minutes while /opt/zimbra is .tar'd off to our main file server for backup to tape.

The clone machine would need to have the backup restored, and Zimbra reinstalled before it could be run. So actually it's not really as easy as flipping a switch. But pretty close. If server A goes down, server B gets fired up, and the backup gets restored via webmin, and Zimbra re-installed via SSH.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I don't mind having the system unavailable for a short while at night. Most of the accounts have 100mb quotas, to keep the backup from getting too huge.

-n8

jfinke is offline Junior Member

gotcha...

How long do you take the server down??

Quote Originally Posted by jfinke
    gotcha...

How long do you take the server down??
    It takes around 10 minutes total. I'd like to do it without taking the server down, but I didn't think to use LVM when I installed. I will be re-installing on a Dell Poweredge 830 soon, at which point Zimbra will get it's own partition. Then I can hopefully get a hot backup working.

It's not a huge deal, since the only person who ever checks e-mail at 12am is me...

-n8

hkgonra is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli
    Want to talk about cheap? I run Zimbra on a $299 eMachines desktop with a Sempron 3000+ and 1 gig of ram. I bought an extra machine, so if one fails, a second is ready to go, just have to power it on. Works great, no problems so far. I'm using Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS, and have 24 users.

-n8
    You are my kinda guy !!!!
    I love doing stuff like that. Nothing like putting together a system on a tight budget !!!!
    I had been using Suse 10 with zimbra loaded on it but I am thinking about putting together a server with ubuntu as well.

BTW, mine are two dell sc1420's that I caught on sale for $499 each.

Aside from the logger problem, and a bit tricky install, Zimbra works fab on Ubuntu. These emachines boxes are pretty killer. I run about 8 or so at the office, and I've had one up & running SimplyMEPIS at home for about 2 years now. (All w/ AMD Sempron 3000+/3200+)

Most of them have had AGP video cards installed to free up the shared RAM that is dedicated to the onboard video controller. For $20/card it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Hint: disable ANYTHING you don't use on the mobo or your hardware may argue over IRQ's. Not ideal boxes for lots of add-on hardware.

I'm currently using one as a Hylafax / Ejabberd2 server, and the cheap built-in modem works well with the drivers available for $20 @ linuxant. The Zimbra box also does firewall/dhcp/squid/dns/etc. I built it to replace the crappy Instagate EX network appliance my company was using previously.

I like the idea of spending $300 on a toss-away server vs. spending $3000 on a server that will be crap in 3-4 years anyhow. I like a bit of a gamble

-n8

hkgonra is offline Junior Member

I have purchased about 40 of the basic amd based e-machines systems in the past couple of years. The only problem I have had with them is 4 of them had Power Supply failure which about half the time toasts the mobo.
    Oh well it was only $300.
    “Paranoia is nothing more than a heightened sense of what's really going on around you!”

Bjoeboo is offline New Member

Angry sudo apt-get install zimbra!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We plan to make Ubuntu better as it's on our list to make an official build.

Ubuntu Breezy Hack.
    Is this KevinH guy still working there? This was 5 months ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information