Thread: [SOLVED] 32 -> 64 bit disaster

uxbod is offline Moderator

Exclamation [SOLVED] 32 -> 64 bit disaster

Attempted a migration from 32 -> 64bit ZCS 6.0.6.1 and have had a real disaster

All was going well, LDAP imported, keystore copied across, mysql, store and index all fine. Though on start up I am getting
    Code:
    2010-06-10 20:32:26,805 FATAL [main] [] system - Exception during startup, aborting server, please check your config
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Could not bind to port=143 bindaddr=127.0.0.1 ssl=false useChannels=false
    ExceptionId:main:1276198346802:f9be0cd9cba268ff
    Code:service.FAILURE
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:248)
            at com.zimbra.common.util.NetUtil.getServerSocket(NetUtil.java:70)
            at com.zimbra.common.util.NetUtil.getTcpServerSocket(NetUtil.java:38)
            at com.zimbra.cs.server.ServerConfig.getServerSocket(ServerConfig.java:128)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.TcpServer.<init>(TcpServer.java:45)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapServer.<init>(ImapServer.java:51)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapServer.startServer(ImapServer.java:85)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapServer.startupImapServer(ImapServer.java:61)
            at com.zimbra.cs.util.Zimbra.startup(Zimbra.java:241)
            at com.zimbra.cs.util.Zimbra.startup(Zimbra.java:123)
    I have tried to re-create the self signed cert, but as mailbox is not running it is unable to perform the zmprov. LDAP looks absolutely fine so it has to have something to do with the certs and the keystore.

Any help would be great as the server is currently down

chauvetp is online now Elite Member

Is there anything already running on port 143 on localhost? Perhaps something that didn't shutdown cleanly?
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

No; from that perspective the system is clean of any other services. This is definitely a cert issue. Going through a disaster recovery process now instead of the 32 -> 64bit migration path.

Hmmm, re-installed and now I get
    Code:
    Can't read /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions/full-20100605.000010.717/ldap/ldap-config.bak: No such file or directory at /opt/zimbra/bin/zmrestoreldap line 221.
    when attempting to recover LDAP. Oh its going to be a long night!

LMStone is offline Moderator

The last time we did a 32-to-64 bit migration, we needed to export LDAP to an ldif file on the 32-bit box and at the right time import the file into LDAP on the new 64-bit server.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Ya, I have exported the LDAP as I have been following :

Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

That bit is fine and it imports okay. The issue appears to be the certs. I have got to the point of a clean install; shut ZCS down, and now about to start on the import of LDAP, MySQL and mailstore. At least I have a quick recovery point to try some different things.

Glad I have a secondary MX !

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

Probably a little too late for this, but posting for anyone that may be planning a 32-to-64 bit migration in the future.

When I did my 32-to-64 bit migration, I added another LDAP/Mailbox/MTA/etc. server which was 64-bit, so there was was a two-server setup -- one 32-bit, the other 64-bit..then I just used the PostRestURL/GetRestURL methods to migrate accounts between servers (not required if you're on Network Edition since you can just move mailboxes).

When all that was finished, I promoted the second server's LDAP server to a primary (instructions in the Wiki, worked flawlessly), and then decommissioned the 32-bit MTA/LDAP/Mailbox server.

It was much cleaner and very much less stress than throwing the 32-bit install onto a 64-bit machine and trying to have a go at it.

Thanks

Well I am just about up and running now! Final couple of bits to do on the configuration. For anybodies interest in the end I have to re-install a vanilla ZCS on 64 bit, zmslapcat the LDAP config, bring across MySQL data (as per the 32 -> 64 bit wiki) plus the 32 bit LDAP dump I took; and *then* went through the old LDAP and merged it with the vanilla install one All looks good though apart from a cert error on start, which I expected, though now it is up and running I have re-created the certs and all is looking tickety boo.

Thanks to everybodies input it was appreciated.

Thread Information