Thread: How to setup one domain (limited users) with fetchmail

Rocky is offline Intermediate Member

Default How to setup one domain (limited users) with fetchmail

Hi Guys,

I finished installation of Zimbra 6 on CentOS 5. One of my customers has some special requirement, I'm wondering anyone else can give me some support/tips/hints. I'll describe the detail situation here:

One person ( called Tom, email: tom@abc.com) has his seperate mail server (mail.abc.com) which is the domain's MX record as well and has a lot of other users (e.g. Peter); What we want to do is that create a new domain (abc.com) on our zimbra server and create only one account - tom@abc.com, use fetchmail to get his emails from the real mail server; And he should be able to send to peter@abc.com which hosted on their real mail server. How to make it happen?

I did set up the SMARTHOST (external SMTP relay) on the Zimbra Web Admin; Not really work; From internally the emails from tom@abc.com to peter@abc.com will first send from localhost (127.0.0.1) smtp server, then to external smtp relay server; The result was that Tom always got a emails saying the target username not exist: I guess it means it could not find peter on local zimbra server.

I'd like a solution maybe without SMARTHOST setting since we have other domains hosted on our server and I don't want it apply globally.

Any good suggestion/work around?

Thanks,
    Rocky

I just wanted to clarify that last post a bit more.

We are trying to set up a few accounts that are using fetchmail on Zimbra 6, and we are having a big problem - any outbound email sent to the same domain as the account is trapped on the Zimbra server.

For example IE. We create a tom@abc.com account that fetches mail from mail.abc.com (hosted elsewhere), and if tom emails anyone at abc.com (using his Zimbra account), it gets trapped on our Zimbra server and doesn’t get delivered to his co-workers at mail.abc.com.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? We find fetchmail a very useful way to migrate users slowly onto Zimbra, but this problem stops us from doing so.

Any help very appreciated!

I was setting up Zimbra 6 Network version on CentOS 5; And I just use "fectchmail" from CentOS (not the Zimbra one) and write one "/etc/fetchmail.conf" and it worked well. Just another approach someone might be interested.

Anyway, we have another big issue with fetchmail + Zimbra setup; Can anyone help me? I described as below:

We are trying to set up a few accounts that are using fetchmail on Zimbra 6, and we are having a big problem - any outbound email sent to the same domain as the account is trapped on the Zimbra server.

For example IE. We create a tom@abc.com account that fetches mail from mail.abc.com (hosted elsewhere), and if tom emails anyone at abc.com (using his Zimbra account), it gets trapped on our Zimbra server and doesn’t get delivered to his co-workers at mail.abc.com.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? We find fetchmail a very useful way to migrate users slowly onto Zimbra, but this problem stops us from doing so.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I was setting up Zimbra 6 Network version on CentOS 5; And I just use "fectchmail" from CentOS (not the Zimbra one) and write one "/etc/fetchmail.conf" and it worked well. Just another approach someone might be interested.
    Just for clarification, Zimbra doesn't supply any version of Fetchmail you always use the one with your specific distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Anyway, we have another big issue with fetchmail + Zimbra setup; Can anyone help me? I described as below:

Does this Zimbra server have valid DNS A & MX records pointing to it? What errors do you actually see in the log files? Are you relaying this mail through another server for delivery and is the domain name on your server them same as your (real) external domain?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Please don't post duplicate messages in the forums on the same topic, it makes it difficult to follow your questions and answer the correct thread. Pick a suitable forum and post your question once. I've moved you other post (and my reply) to this thread.

BTW, this isn't an Installation problem so I'll also move this to the correct forum.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Just for clarification, Zimbra doesn't supply any version of Fetchmail you always use the one with your specific distribution.

Does this Zimbra server have valid DNS A & MX records pointing to it? What errors do you actually see in the log files? Are you relaying this mail through another server for delivery and is the domain name on your server them same as your (real) external domain?
    No, this zimbra server does not has the domain's MX record; How I setup so far is that: create the domains on the zimbra server, only some users@thisdomain are on Zimbra, I am using fectmail to get emails from real mail server to our zimbra. We don't have another relay server to send email; Our Zimbra server was a dedicate server with public IP hosted in one ISP. And my domain name is exactly the same domain as extra domain; Maybe let describe all the circumstance in details:

1. Company abc.com has his own mail server (mail.abc.com, not our zimbra server), and all the employee use personanme@abc.com as email address; abc.xom has several location around the country; Now only one branch (e.g. Branch A) want to go to ZImbra solution;

2. I created "abc.com" on my Zimbra server, and created users for Branch A; I am using fetchmail to get mails from their real mail server to zimbra server; All the users in Branch A use Zimbra outlook connector to get/send their emails;

3. Since our zimbra server is hosted outside with a public IP; There is no SMTP SMARTHOST provided by the ISP; We can't really use SMTP replay here;

4. The if one person (mike@abc.com) belong to Branch A want to send out emails to persons at other branch, he will get the rejection emails which said no such person in the domain. And it seems Zimbra only check internal domains and thought anyone@abc.com should be on this Zimbra server. How can I fix it?

It might not a installation question, you can move to anywhere else which is suitable.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Thread Information