Thread: Zimbra can be configured in Outlook via http as does hotmail or gmail?

rcsalazar77 is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra can be configured in Outlook via http as does hotmail or gmail?

Regards

Zimbra can be configured in Outlook via http? as does hotmail or gmail, what would be the url to authenticate my users?

fcash is offline Elite Member

No.

If you are using the open-source version of Zimbra, then you have to configure Outlook to use IMAP to retrieve e-mail from the server.

If you are using the network edition of Zimbra, then you should install the Outlook Connector to have full, native, support for Zimbra inside Outlook.
    Freddie

batfastad is offline Elite Member

What fcash said.

And it is a shame... having Outlook connect to Exchange via RPC over HTTPS was about the only thing that was stopping us from migrating.
    I believe the Outlook-Exchange-specific RPC HTTPS stuff is a proprietory thing but it was darn good. Truly excellent for remote workers.

Not sure if the hotmail/gmail HTTP methods are the same as the Exchange one though.

I've found it slightly awkward to use ZCO compared to RPC over HTTPS.
    Having to rebuild users' .zdb file/Outlook profile after a Zimbra upgrade or disaster recovery is a chore.
    Our users could happily access 20GB mailboxes with RPC over HTTPS with cached mode on Exchange (obviously not all of it cached on the users machine though, just most recent stuff and any old headers).
    I find ZCO becomes pretty nasty after about 4-5GB.
    Really wish you could limit the size of the .zdb by having only the last x days of full mail stored and the rest headers or limit the amount of full mail to say 1.5GB of the .zdb and the rest is just headers.

But that's all discussion for the ZCO forum
    My Zimbra Bugs Wishlist: 16411, 24567, 35676, 36430, 37770, 41872, 43733, 44384, 46383, 47759
    And a way to associate mailto: handlers with a Zimbra Prism webapp

ewilen is offline Moderator

In Zimbra 6.0 and higher you have the option to download headers only until you read a message. See Bug 11962 - Sync Mode: Headers Only, Rest On Demand and Bug 38520 - headers only mode: download message when read

I've found it speeds things up enormously, of course at the cost of not being able to access all your mail offline. There are a couple bugs still being ironed out, though.

Both hotmail and google need some sort of connectors to work with Outlook, like Zimbra. Not sure how they work but ZCO (yes it does require a license) actually is connecting over http(s).

That said, this
    Really wish you could limit the size of the .zdb by having only the last x days of full mail stored and the rest headers or limit the amount of full mail to say 1.5GB of the .zdb and the rest is just headers.
    sounds like a good idea for an RFE.

batfastad is offline Elite Member

Ok I did not know about this... Bug 38520 – headers only mode: download message when read
    I'd only ever tried viewing message in the Outlook reading pane and obviously it doesn't get downloaded.
    But if double-clicking to open a message automatically downloads it then that makes headers-only mode alot more feasable for our users!

Just submitted this RFE for that suggestion:
    Bug 47759 – Limit .zdb size by specifying downloaded mail size limit and downloaded mail days limit

Cheers, B
    Last edited by batfastad; 06-05-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    My Zimbra Bugs Wishlist: 16411, 24567, 35676, 36430, 37770, 41872, 43733, 44384, 46383, 47759
    And a way to associate mailto: handlers with a Zimbra Prism webapp

Thread Information