Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra Proxy - 2 questions

sinopeach is offline Active Member

Also why is this marked as SOLVED - with no additions having been made to ANY documentation and no comments from ANY Zimbra employees?

Will I have to open a ticket for this issue too because "out of the box" functionality and use cases have either not been thought through correctly or worse still - not documented?

:-s

rlomba is offline Member

Hi, no problems for the little misunderstanding... In the end I absolutely agree with you, what I explained is not a real structural solution but just a workaround, and it's good just if you have one single backend mailbox server.

As you said, you cant scale up to having more mbox servers without doing something different.

The only REAL solution would be having a proxy server that can proxy administrative console too.

So, this is the point where I was expecting somebody from Zimbra to show up with some comments/insights. I too was a bit surprised not getting any feedback on an important issue that is not threated elsewhere.

I marked the thread as solved just because there is no option to say "resolved with workaround"... That's the only reason why I decided to close it like that.

Have a good day

HERE IS THE REAL ANSWER:

Issue a command to change the link that users are given to click on - solve the problem at the source and without the convouted mess as suggested above - six sigma and all that...

"zmprov md domain.com zimbraWebClientAdminReference https://server.domain.com:7071/"

rlomba is offline Member

The information you added, despite being probably absolutely correct, is not "the real answer"... It's just another (working) workaround... But non of us two has actually been able to put up a proxy for administrative console requests.

So, what is discussed previously in the thread is not a "convouted mess" at least as much as yours is not "the real answer".

Have a good day.

Correct answer - no I agree. Part of the proxy package would be the CORRECT way. This is less convoluted though for the network admin - more convoluted for the provisioner - less complicated for the support dept..

cdunbar is offline Intermediate Member

Hello,

It may be too early in the morning for me to attempt a technical reply, but here goes...

Am I understanding everybody correctly - you have not been able to place a Zimbra (reverse) proxy server in front of your management server? That is how I currently operate. I have one Zimbra proxy server sitting in front of a dedicated LDAP server and a dedicated mail store. The proxy also functions as the MTA. Anyway, the proxy handles the port 7071 connections right along with everything else and passes the admin connection back to the mail store. Unfortunately, I was having some other troubles at the time this was set up and Zimbra support was kind enough to configure the reverse proxy while I had them on the phone. In other words, I don't know the exact commands.

The only minor annoyance I have experienced comes when I try to view a user's mailbox from the admin interface. The URL generated includes the host name of the mail store (e.g. mailstore01.domain.com) and not the FQDN I have configured the proxy to manage (e.g. mail.domain.com). Fortunately, you can edit the URL by removing "store01" and it then works just fine.

I hope it helps to at least know this can be done even if I cannot give you the exact commands. I also hope I understood the problem in the first place.

Regards,
    Chris Dunbar

rlomba is offline Member

Thanks Chris... What you describe is exactly what I'd wish to achieve. At least we now know that IT IS possible.

I'm currently working on the nginx.conf file(s) on the Proxy Server, but unfortunately I can't work on this full time, and for now I just got to a workaround.

If suddenly you get to remember the steps you had to perform to put this thing up, just give me a ping on this thread :-)

cheers

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cdunbar View Post
    The only minor annoyance I have experienced comes when I try to view a user's mailbox from the admin interface. The URL generated includes the host name of the mail store (e.g. mailstore01.domain.com) and not the FQDN I have configured the proxy to manage (e.g. mail.domain.com). Fortunately, you can edit the URL by removing "store01" and it then works just fine.
    Have you tried setting the Public Service Hostname?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

peter@mxtoolbox.com is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Does anybody have a guide to edit the nginx configuration to redirect traffic on 7071 to a mailbox server so that you can have a single hostname that works for both the WebUI and the Admin Console?

I don't have a single firewall in front of the nodes so I can't redirect that way.
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com

peter@mxtoolbox.com is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

I was told that Zimbra doesn't support modifying nginx to support this and that it would probably be simpler and easier to setup a manual redirect to a mail store. If that is what you are interested in doing, I have posted my instructions on how to quickly install lighttpd to do this simple redirect on this other thread - Access to Administration Console by Zimbra Proxy ?an
    Peter LeBlond
    Product Development Engineer
    http://www.mxtoolbox.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information