Thread: Deleting Messages from Outlook 2000/2003

soxfan is offline Moderator

Default Deleting Messages from Outlook 2000/2003

I'm using Zimbra OSE, and currently testing various clients, including the Zimbra web client, Thunderbird, and MS Outlook 2000/2003. When I delete an email message from Outlook it simply marks the item for deletion. I know this is the standard Outlook behavior with an IMAP server, but I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a way, either at the server or cleint level, to have it act like the Zimbra web client and Thunderbird, where it moves the message to the Trash folder.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Not yet. What bothers you about the way it works now? You see the message in the web client? Or something else?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

I guess my biggest concern is I really like the Zimbra setting for "Trashed message lifetime" and that this setting won't have any affect on the messages that are marked for deletion by Outlook. Or will it? In our current POP3-only environment a lot of the users simply use "Deleted Items" folder in Outlook as a secondary Inbox. As in "I don't want this message clogging up my Inbox and I don't want to bother creating a sub-folder for it, so I'll just delete it and if I need to find it I can always go back to the Deleted Items folder.". These people are not going to want to, or bother to, go through the Purge Deleted Messages process. The other thing is that the Purge Deleted Messages is an all or nothing process; whereas with the "Trashed message lifetime" setting it purges messags gradually.

Also, I'm finding that if I delete a message in Outlook and then at a later time login to that same account with Thunderbird the message is permanently deleted (expunged). I don't suppose many people would be going back and forth between clients like this too often, so I don't necessarily consider it a bug, but it is making it a little difficult to test some things.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

POP3 never uses folders at all, so unless you have leave on server the POP client will keep the mailbox clean.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Our current live environment is POP3 only. I am evaluating Zimbra OSE as a replacement. We are looking to move from POP3 to IMAP.

Thread Information