Thread: FYI: simple, read-only with PHPiCalendar

redhat is offline Active Member

Lightbulb FYI: simple, read-only with PHPiCalendar

In case someone else is looking for a very simple way to let web users see a read-only version of your calendar, here's what I did. (I'm running Apache/PHP on the same machine as Zimbra, but you can do this from anywhere.)

Make the desired Zimbra calendar shared.

Get phpiCalendar code from the 'latest version' links here:

http://phpicalendar.net/forums/

After installing that you have to put your .ics file(s) into the /calendars directory. To do that I used wget in a cron script that runs every 5 minutes, but there's lots of ways to do it. I think phpicalendar will even let you specify the remote URL directly in its config file, but I wanted the .ics file for other reasons as well. The URL I used to get the file looks kind of like this although I've seen other versions in various forum messages:

https://zimbra.server.com:port/servi...ame/mycalendar

That was it. It works perfectly and lets people browse around different time periods, day/month/week views, and has a printable view. It even lets people overlay multiple calendars in the same view much like Zimbra does.

This will be very handy for our customer support web site where most people won't have a Zimbra log in account.
    Last edited by redhat; 08-11-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added URL for getting .ics file from zimbra

mattrice is offline Junior Member

Default Using CURL to get shared zimbra calendar into phpicalendar

There is a thread that could help you here
    Last edited by mattrice; 11-18-2006 at 12:49 PM.

claude is offline Member

Default Zimbra: can't able to find .ics files on the server...

Hi,

I'd like to use phpicalendar with Zimbra generated calendars.

The server hosting Zimbra is not the same as the Web server using phpicalendar.

Before providing the file's remote path to phpicalendar I have to find where the x.ics are stored...but we aren't able to find any!

Could anybody tells me where on the server are stored the x.ics file please?

Regards.
    Claude

fcash is offline Elite Member

You have to share the calendar, as a public (read-only) calendar, and then the URL will be shown in the share dialog.
    Freddie

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Starting with 5.0 or so (January 2008), Zimbra has supported its own simple, read-only HTML view of calendars. URLs are like https://mail.example.com/home/claude.../Calendar.html

Starting with 5.0.11 or so (October 2008), you can right-click on the name of the calendar in the upper left pane and choose "Launch in a separate window." Access control is as usual.

claude is offline Member

Thank you for the responses...

...but my question is about the use of Zimbra calendars with the means of 'phpicalendars' tool.

The points are:

1- 'phpicalendars' requires the file path (not the http url...as far as I know) to the dir containing the x.ics...but does Zimbra generates such dirs? Till now we haven't find any such dirs.

2- The reason of using 'phpicalendar' is because we'd like to be able to authenticate a user knowing already his credentials without asking him to provide its again. Therefore, and because we are working with IE7/8 it's impossible to put the credentials inside the url directly[we don't want to ask the users to modify their Registry Base in order to make IE able to accept such urls containing log and passwords].

Thank you for any help.
    Claude

Thread Information