Thread: [SOLVED] rsyncing the redologs

kilbasar is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] rsyncing the redologs

I know there's already lots and lots of threads about running backups in 5.x NE, but I didn't see this one answered anywhere, so figured I'd give it a go.

I run bi-weekly full backups, with daily incrementals. After each backup run, the backups (which are stored on the same SAN as my /opt/zimbra mount point) are rsynced over to a separate NAS, so that I don't have a single point of failure. The reason for not directly backing up to the NAS is that it would take a really long time, and backups seem to impact performance, while just doing an rsync does not. It's also not possible (for reasons somewhat unclear to me) to specify the target for incrementals, so doing an rsync afterwards seemed the easiest solution.

Anyway, I would like to also start rsyncing over my redologs, on an hourly basis, so that I would not lose up to a full day of e-mail in the case of a disaster. I was wondering if I should bother rsyncing the in-use redo.log, or just stick to the archived redologs. Would I actually be able to restore from the redo.log, or would it possibly not be useful since it was still being written to (and in flux) at the time it was copied?

Thanks!

ewilen is offline Moderator

I think the current redolog can be usefully backed up while live. See discussion starting at Of backups and restoration

kilbasar is offline Member

Great, thanks! That link tells me everything I needed to know, and more. Sounds like I SHOULD be rsyncing the live redolog, so that zmplayredo can play it back (along with the archived ones).

Thread Information