Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Single Zimbra Server to Two Zimbra Servers

kumabhi is offline Active Member

Default Moving from Single Zimbra Server to Two Zimbra Servers

Hi,

We have a zimbra server running for our domain, now the mailboxes belonging to the domain have grown rapidly and is expected to grow in the same way. We are thinking to add another server to support more users. Now how to setup two mail servers and have zimbra running on both. Also, what would my dns entry look like then incase of 2 mail servers? I don't want to change the domain name for my users.

Awaiting for your help and kind suggestions.

Thanks !

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd suggest you start by reading the Multi-Server Installation Guide and then ask questions (or search the forums for some answer) after that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply ! I have read that document and I came across this Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki which is exactly what we need. However I am a bit nervous, as I don't want to affect existing installation(existing users), can you please suggest what would be the best way to do an installation on second server so that from now on new users go to this second server(in a split domain way). Also, is this scalable? i.e. if in future I have to further split the domain how to go about doing it? So a 1 primary and multiple secondary mail systems.

Thanks !

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

A split domain is only useful for migrating from one server to another, you need to configure a multi-server set-up.
    Regards

Bill

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

As Bill said, if you add additional servers to your existing Zimbra installation (per the multi-server guide), then the split-domain is not needed.

Just add another mailbox server (or MTA/LDAP server, however you want to scale out your environment), start adding new accounts to that server instead, and life will be good.

I'd highly suggest at least having two LDAP servers and two MTA's in your environment for resiliency. That way if one goes down or you're doing hardware maintenance on it, the other can continue to query the directory and process incoming mail.

Hi !

Thanks for the nice info ! In the multi-server setup, right now I have everything(ldap/mta/mailbox) on one machine, for the next machine to be added should I do a similar installation as the first one?(this way we have 2 ldaps running and we save on hardware)

Thanks
    Abhishek

Quote Originally Posted by kumabhi View Post
    Thanks for the nice info ! In the multi-server setup, right now I have everything(ldap/mta/mailbox) on one machine, for the next machine to be added should I do a similar installation as the first one?(this way we have 2 ldaps running and we save on hardware)
    No, you don't do that, you only install the required components. I will suggest again that you read the documentation in detail before you decide what configuration you need and to make yourself familiar with the installation - it's all described in the documentation.
    Regards

Bill

I just suggested to add the LDAP/MTA components for higher resiliency. That way you can have your MX records point to both servers to spread the load across - and if one server goes offline, mail will continue to flow in. But it really all depends on what your end goal is.

Check out the docs, if you have any questions about the setup, let us know.

iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

What I (and I guess others here as well) am missing is a simple guide with instructions on how to ADD a second server to a running single-server system.
    The multi-server instructions don't specifically tell this, unfortunately.

Please post a nice instructional guide for that!

Thanks

Run the installer as its described in the multi-server guide, but when the text menu comes up asking for configurations, be sure to go into LDAP and specify the existing server's hostname as the primary server. You will also need to run "zmlocalconfig -s" on the already existing server to get the current LDAP password so you can put it into that menu. Once its in there, the configuration script will verify it, and then you can carry on with configuring the mailbox server portion (as described in the multi-server guide)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information