Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32bit to 64 bit zimbra?

Mad Professor is offline Intermediate Member

Default 32bit to 64 bit zimbra?

Purchased new hardware, want to wipe and reload with a 64bit version of centos, but I want to upgrade my zimbra install from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Last time I upgraded it, was from 5.0.18 to 6.0.

how can I do this?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor View Post
    Purchased new hardware, want to wipe and reload with a 64bit version of centos, but I want to upgrade my zimbra install from 32 bit to 64 bit.
    Have you searched the forums, wiki or blog for that information - there's several articles that cover a migration: site:zimbra.com +32bit +64bit - Yahoo! Search Results - it's even mentioned on the downloads page - click the 'phase-out' link.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Yes, all I found was old articles or out-of-date articles, most of it was v4.0 or 5.0 zimbra, nothing on the new 6.0.

Yes I saw that, so I assume that the installer will just do the upgrade automatically? or do I have to rip zimbra apart and save certain gut files for transplant?
    edit just reread the Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki noticed the 6.0x section.

Seems like alot of work, with a high probability of something going wrong.
    Last edited by Mad Professor; 05-08-2010 at 11:42 PM.

You have to follow the instructions in the article you've mentioned above.
    Regards

Bill

Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

does this one work? we only use the open source.

Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

does this one work? we only use the open source.
    No, you need to follow the instructions in the other article. The stumbling block is moving LDAP from 32bit to 64bit.

You should also update your forum profile with the output of the following command:

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Regards

Bill

So how am I going to be able to get all the information to match the new 64 to the 32. Might be almost next to impossible because I pretty setup the domain and set the ports, change the admin password and ran everything locally, and let zimbra install handle everything else. I know that ldap is a randomly generated password, so how do I acquire all this information?

also new hardware is in the husk of old server. Even tho 32bit O/S is running on the new hardware having it live during the need of migration might not be physically possible, because everything is going to be wiped on the O/S Drive.
    Last edited by Mad Professor; 05-09-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Ok... Ok... I think I got it..

Zimbra 32 is in /opt, I ran out of space in /opt and had to move it to /storage/opt, I had bind them both. I am changing out the O/S Drive with a bigger one, this is what I'm going to do. Since I already have access to the location of zimbra which will be preserved on /storage which will not be wiped. I'm going to wipe and reload O/S Drive and install a fresh new copy of zimbra 64, on the new O/S.

but before I do that I will Update zimbra 32 to the latest, type /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapcat /storage/backup then perform the wipe on O/S Drive.

Try my hardest to make everything match like the 32 version, which may be impossible, since I let the zimbra installer randomly create the passwords for LDAP, and anything else that I didn't touch.

Copy what I need in section 6.0x of the network 32 to 64 bit article, and then continue on down the article and hope that this works.

Anything else I should know, would this work?

What about the passwords for the spam/ham/Global documents?
    how can I get the password for ldap?

how can I view the current configuration of zimbra, so I can make a matching configuration on the new install?

Zimbra 32 is in /opt, I ran out of space in /opt and had to move it to /storage/opt, I had bind them both. I am changing out the O/S Drive with a bigger one, this is what I'm going to do. Since I already have access to the location of zimbra which will be preserved on /storage which will not be wiped. I'm going to wipe and reload O/S Drive and install a fresh new copy of zimbra 64, on the new O/S.
    No, don't do that without following the instructions in this article: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki You cannot just install the 64bit O/S then run an install of Zimbra on that system, it will not work and you could hose your Zimbra installation. You must follow those instructions especially the part about the LDAP export and import.
    Regards

Bill

Then it's physically impossible.

Plus it says the new installation on the 64 bit server configuration must match exactly to the old one. Therefore It means install a fresh copy of Zimbra x86_64 on the new installation. That's my interpretation. Unless somewhere in that paragraph, I don't see how I can migrate from 32 to 64 without an install of zimbra x86_64.

I can't run the 32 bit O/S and the 64 bit O/S at the same time, data is on /storage in array. I need a cold backup and then restore. When I wipe and reload a new /opt directory will be made on the new drive while the old zimbra in /storage/opt will be preserved for data harvesting.

Why do we need to have the 32bit O/S running? why can't we harvest the data and import it.

There's something here that you're not explaining, you're making my job harder by not helping me, All you're telling me is read this wiki, follow this wiki. When in fact the wiki requires two machines, I don't have two machines to perform this function.

Work smarter not harder.

EDIT: maybe we're going about this all wrong, is there anyway we can just backup accounts and messages only, and just import them into a new zimbra install? if not then WTF!?
    Last edited by Mad Professor; 05-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information