Thread: Junk button actually functioning as Not Junk within search

ericortego is offline Active Member

Angry Junk button actually functioning as Not Junk within search

I have been plagued by a particularly annoying email for a particularly long time.
    I have been equally disturbed that none of my spam filters have been able to stop it. Today I thought I might write a filter to auto classify it as junk. So I started looking for patterns in the deluge of incomprehensible french advertisement. Quite astonishingly they are all quite similar...wtf spam filter... so I did a search for "mailing@distrifly.fr" and all of them show up in my search window. So I highlighted them all and pressed my friend the Junk button in the web client.

I fired up a terminal checked the log expecting to see deliveries to spam***@mydomain.com but instead I had over 100 of these:

2010-05-04 09:57:50,426 INFO [Junk-NotJunk-Handler] [] misc - Sent spamreport: acct=eric@mydomain.com mbox=1 id=42194 report=!spam origIp=192.168.1.98

wtf do you mean !spam OMFG

A trip to the ham account confirmed that these are being trained as HAM instead of JUNK!

So I tried them one by one instead...nope still the Junk button sends them as HAM. I am beyond words ....

1.) how do I fix my spam training
    2.) I also noticed that I cannot move email that I search for
    I created a folder to hold the french spam search for mailing@distrifly.fr then try to highlight and move the messages but all of them just vanish without moving to the folder....could this be related to the problem?

3.) I believe it to be related to the way I searched.
    If I use the search term "in:folderA mailing@distrifly.fr" the junk button works as expected. If however I use "is:anywhere mailing@distrifly.fr" then the button does the unexpected.

I think I should be able to classify spam as spam even if it is already in my junk folder. Can we disconnect the "not junk" button from the junk button so that searches don't cause such unintended behavior?

I will file a bug and reference this post.

I am running 6.0.5_GA_2213.RHEL5_20100202211341 CentOS5 NETWORK edition.
    Last edited by ericortego; 12-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.

jocx is offline Active Member

My observation is that items already in JUNK folder, if retrained with the "JUNK" action, will perform an un-junk action. (retraining, sending to HAM). It may be your search results include (exclusively?) messages in the junk forlder and so junking them actually unjunks them. I would hope (as you do) that messages found but not in the junk folder would train as junk if junked.

ericortego is offline Active Member

That is correct. This behavior is exclusive to search results where one of the returned items is in the Junk folder.

The returned items are certainly not exclusively in the Junk folder, and the search window, even though it has a folder column, doesn't show which folder the results are in.

Those in the junk folder cause the button to switch modes but the button doesn't switch text from 'Junk' to 'Not Junk' even thought the functionality for everything selected is to train it as not junk(for all junk results) or do nothing(for the results which aren't in the junk folder).

Additionally I cannot move anything out of the search results. It appears to move but they never end up in the destination...This only happens for results in Junk or Trash.

Lets say I have 3 emails all identical, one in inbox, one in trash, one in spam.

I do a search that returns them only, highlight them, then press junk.
    They all stay in their respected folders but one is sent to the ham filter.

If I highlight them and drag them into the inbox None of them move out of their respected folders(even though the search window erases them) and again one is sent to the ham filter.

The problem is two fold:
    1.) Junk button improperly displays it's current functionality.
    2.) Results cannot be dragged or moved into any other destination.

If the results could be moved then the Junk button could disabled when in:junk or is:anywhere are used to search. A user could then select all messages and drag them to the junk folder where the only side effect might be the ones in junk get retrained as such.
    Last edited by ericortego; 05-04-2010 at 10:23 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

[QUOTE=ericortego;182078]That is correct. This behavior is exclusive to search results where one of the returned items is in the Junk folder.

Quote Originally Posted by ericortego View Post
    The returned items are certainly not exclusively in the Junk folder, and the search window, even though it has a folder column, doesn't show which folder the results are in.
    It does if it's in Message view rather than Conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by ericortego View Post
    Those in the junk folder cause the button to switch modes but the button doesn't switch text from 'Junk' to 'Not Junk' even thought the functionality for everything selected is to train it as not junk(for all junk results) or do nothing(for the results which aren't in the junk folder).
    Perhaps you ought to file an entry in Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra for that (search to see if there's already an entry), vote on it and raise a support case?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ewilen is offline Moderator

Thread Information