Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: [SOLVED] Multi Server => Mixing OSX and RHEL

  1. #1
    schulze is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default [SOLVED] Multi Server => Mixing OSX and RHEL

    Hi all,

    we have been testing a multi server setup with one gateway/ldap host and two mailbox servers. All are running under OS X (and Zimbra Network Edition 5.0.19).

    As we are not sure about sticking with OS X, we set up a third mailbox server under Scientific Linux (an RHEL clone). The server works and seems to be successfully integrated into our existing setup. However, there are two problems:


    • In the Administration Console, on the Server Status page, only our two OS X mailbox servers are listed. The RHEL mailbox server is missing. It shows up on other pages (Domains, Servers, Server stats) of the Administration Console, but not on the Server Status page. This is a minor problem, of course.
    • Moving mailboxes between OS X and RHEL is not working correctly. It seems, as if only the Inbox is being moved. Everything else (Email Folders, Tasks, Calendars, Documents, and even custom Tags) is missing. This happens in both directions. When moving the mailbox back to the originating server, everything is available again. All data is available again, even if one has purged the old mailbox on the originating server. So it looks, as if no data is lost when moving, it just seems inaccessible on the new server.


    I did not find anything suspicious in the logs, the mailbox-move is logged from start to finish without any errors or warnings.

    Should it - in theory - be possible to mix mailbox servers with different OSes or are there any definite reasons, why this can not work? Has any one tried that before?

    Are there any suggestions, where I could start debugging this?

  2. #2
    Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    Moving mailboxes between OS X and RHEL is not working correctly. It seems, as if only the Inbox is being moved. Everything else (Email Folders, Tasks, Calendars, Documents, and even custom Tags) is missing. This happens in both directions. When moving the mailbox back to the originating server, everything is available again. All data is available again, even if one has purged the old mailbox on the originating server. So it looks, as if no data is lost when moving, it just seems inaccessible on the new server.
    After you move the mailbox, if you run "zmmailbox -z -m account@domain.com", and do "GetAllFolders" request, does it show correct or incorrect accounts?

    Does this happen to just one mailbox, or multiple ones that you try?

    It should work across different OS's, but keep in mind that Scientific Linux isn't officially supported by Zenoss (nor is CentOS), so I'm not sure if there is a library or something that may be causing an issue somewhere.

  3. #3
    schulze is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply, total mayhem at work ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    After you move the mailbox, if you run "zmmailbox -z -m account@domain.com", and do "GetAllFolders" request, does it show correct or incorrect accounts?

    Does this happen to just one mailbox, or multiple ones that you try?
    It happened with all accounts, that I tried. However, the problem is gone now, even though I did not change anything. Maybe a browser/AJAX problem (though I never had a problem with the GUI before). Also, the "GetAllFolders" request now gives a complete listing and probably would have done so before, if I had tried it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    It should work across different OS's, but keep in mind that Scientific Linux isn't officially supported by Zenoss (nor is CentOS), so I'm not sure if there is a library or something that may be causing an issue somewhere.
    Yes, i know. Based on my experience, I have good faith in Scientific Linux/RHEL compatibility. However, when coming across further problems, I will consider testing an officially supported distribution. I will also report back, if I find s.th. out about the Administration Console problem, which is still there.

  4. #4
    schulze is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Just a short update:

    The problem with the Administration Console has been solved. The zimbra user was not allowed to ssh to all machines without password (SSH-Keys). After fixing this, everything looks fine.

    The mailboxmove problem still exists with all accounts, but it automatically fixes itself some time after the move. We can live with that.
    The problem also appears when moving mailboxes from an OSX server to another OS X server, so it has nothing to do with mixing OS X and RHEL. The following thread addresses the problem as well: Zmmailboxmove Results in Corrupted Mailboxes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •