Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ClamAV 0.94 EOL on ZCS 5.0.16 prior (discussion)

wooby is offline Loyal Member

Default i want my AV

Sorry for asking this now,
    I saw the ZCS 5.0.16 Prior: ClamAV 0.94 is EOL just few minutes back & I really dont want to diable my AV. can you tell me what occur if i dont disable it.

Please do tell me ...
    thanks

MGSteve is offline Senior Member

Default Problem with ClamAV starting....

When starting up, I get this error message:

Starting ldap...Done.
    Starting logger...Done.
    Starting mailbox...Done.
    Starting antispam...Done.
    Starting antivirus...FAILED
    amavisd already running: pid 11295
    ClamAV update process started at Fri Apr 16 13:51:27 2010
    WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
    WARNING: Local version: 0.93.3 Recommended version: 0.96
    DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
    Downloading main-48.cdiff [100%]
    Downloading main-49.cdiff [100%]
    Downloading main-50.cdiff [100%]
    clamd failed to startdiff [ 1%]

Starting snmp...Done.
    Starting spell...Done.
    Starting mta...Done.
    Starting stats...Done.
    Any idea what's causing it to fail to update? It then doesn't start at all and results in emails not being delivered.

Zimbra Version:

Release 5.0.10_GA_2638.RHEL5_20081003052615 CentOS5 FOSS edition

bibin is offline Member

tnks boss...

tonster is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by wooby View Post
    Sorry for asking this now,
    I saw the ZCS 5.0.16 Prior: ClamAV 0.94 is EOL just few minutes back & I really dont want to diable my AV. can you tell me what occur if i dont disable it.

Please do tell me ...
    thanks
    If you don't disable it you either have to upgrade to a later version of ZCS (>=5.0.18) or use the workaround Mike posted. Not doing either of those means all mail gets deferred and you never get new email.

alto is offline Special Member

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...-16-prior.html

Your clanav version has reached end of life, I know its been flagged on the support portal for the last couple of months. did not expect that mail servers would just stop though. That really should have been flashed in RED

Best of luck

MGSteve is offline Senior Member

How do I upgrade it? // nm, got links from your email, thanks for that.

Agreed - it most certainly should not stop servers dead in their tracks.

How on earth can anyone think that causing servers to stop working is a good idea?

btw, just turning off clamAV doesn't work - my mail server now won't deliver any emails at all, just loops around saying 'lost contact with 127.0.0.1'...

Apr 16 14:34:06 ds-43755 postfix/qmgr[18122]: 1DC1D15346D: to=<postmaster@ukwebsystems.com>, orig_to=<info@ukwebsystems.com>, relay=none, delay=0.43, delays=0.43/0/0/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] while sending RCPT TO)
    It can't be conincidence as both problems arose today...
    Last edited by MGSteve; 04-16-2010 at 06:35 AM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

This pretty much gets classified as basically unforeseeable thirdparty package causes back when we coded those versions; the clamav project literally injected code to remotely shutoff their product to reduce not only the actual definition transfer traffic but the update check load on their mirrors as well - and kept it mostly a secret (least it be used in the wrong way).

That said we still have respect for the final decisions of such opensource teams, as something like that never comes lightly. Maybe they can use a larger distribution network in the future (and just the current mirror network for checks, with another community service like sourceforge for the actual file transfer - only defers the problem of course, but if your a large institution do your part by donating or hosting a mirror - we've tossed the idea around ourselves for the network edition.

Had we known about this special 'kill switch' signature back then we might have been able to prevent ZCS from being brought down so hard. Obviously going forward we'll have to allow for things like antivirus services being down but still mail delivery (based on an optional attribute setting) if outside groups continue disrupting stability.

We apologize to network edition customers who didn't receive an email notice.

A blast (to anyone who registered in the forums and/or active here in the last year etc) was also considered and ruled out; as those interested in ZCS and serious about their mail infrastructure are probably staying up-to-date on latest 5.0.x or 6.0.x (there's been tons of thirdparty security fixes lately too if you follow any 'nix news.)

There's rss feeds available in the announcements section and blog.
    However, if you would like to receive email messages on things like this in the future, please visit your user control panel: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
    And make sure the box is checked where it says:
    -Receive email from Administrators. From time to time, the administrators may want to send you release info, security alerts, etc. If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

yeah..lately we are under Spamassasin, openwhois, ClamAV..upgarde/EOL attack..lol
    i guess keeping up-to-date is an option but every zimbra upgarde required 45 min of downtime..so many times if there is a stable release people/customers dont like distruption..

"flowing of mails in an event of third party module failure (i.e spamassasin, clamav, or others) should be an optional switch"

did not read clearly that everything will STOP working if i waited till 15th, we assumed it will just not update the latest virus defination..boy that was bad reading

so spent whole night patching the servers

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

tonster is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    yeah..lately we are under Spamassasin, openwhois, ClamAV..upgarde/EOL attack..lol
    i guess keeping up-to-date is an option but every zimbra upgarde required 45 min of downtime..so many times if there is a stable release people/customers dont like distruption..

"flowing of mails in an event of third party module failure (i.e spamassasin, clamav, or others) should be an optional switch"

did not read clearly that everything will STOP working if i waited till 15th, we assumed it will just not update the latest virus defination..boy that was bad reading

so spent whole night patching the servers

Raj
    We certainly understand that many customers cannot upgrade with each release, however most customers are able to upgrade every few months. In this case, 5.0.18 had been updated to clamav 0.95.1 and was released nearly a year ago. It's generally known within a week or so if there is a major problem with a release, and in the past year we've fixed MANY security issues found in several third party components, so it might be worth considering a little more aggressive upgrade schedule in the future. As always, for network edition customers, feel free to contact support before upgrading to see what version might be best for you.

nrgyz is offline Intermediate Member

Anyone could tar up clamav-0.95.1 from a Debian 4 (etch) release? I can't compile it from source for some reasons.

Thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information