Thread: ASSP and Zimbra

benjo is offline New Member

Default ASSP and Zimbra

Good day to all!
    Weve just recently deployed/migrated from an old postfix to Zimbra and went well, although we received some reports of a relatively high spam incidents from our users.
    Browsing over the wiki and forums, we were able to reduce the said spam incidents and SA trainings seem sufficient.
    Recalling our old mail system, we have low spam incidents, due to ASSP i guess.
    On a test lab, I setup a similar setup.. Zimbra and ASSP on the same machine.
    - changed Zimbras smtp to 125
    - configured assp to listen to 25 and smtp destination to zimbras custom port (125)

Upon testing, we were able to received mails, although upon hitting reply.. weve got an smtp error.
    What seems to be the problem with this setup?
    TIA!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

It would help if you were to post any error messages you have received; check /var/log/zimbra.log and /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log. You may have better luck by moving ASSP in-front of ZCS eg. separate server; like I do myself with MailScanner.

hi uxbod
    my bad for not posting logs, will post once i get back to work, IIRC, logs were spewing "connection time out"

as for putting assp in a separate box, well it was part of the suggestion though ive got question:
    - if assp were in a separate box, will i have to go around (end users) and replace their email client settings?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Uh yep ... so lets see what the log files say when you get back to work and take it from there.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Welcome to the forums

You may have better luck by moving ASSP in-front of ZCS eg. separate server; like I do myself with MailScanner.
    This is how we have our ASSP setup. It sets in front of our Zimbra test server. Although, we are considering moving the ASSP install to the Zimbra box.

Doug

@doug
    i see, per my post..it was also suggested by our team.. also, as replied by uxbod, it also means we will go around the office and reconfigure our user's email client and replace the configured mail to assp
    cheers!

ewilen is offline Moderator

A thought: couldn't you set Zimbra itself to use ASSP as a relay MTA for external delivery? (GUI > Configuration > Servers > servername > MTA.)

True, ASSP wouldn't learn from internal mails, but it would still learn from mails sent to outside addresses.

Thread Information