Thread: How do you tell if antispam's being updated?

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default How do you tell if antispam's being updated?

Is there something I can look for to see when SA rules are updated, and whether user-submitted examples are being processed?

I only have 55 reports in my spam mailbox, so I guess that's a good sign...
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

uxbod is offline Moderator

SA rules do not automatically update within ZCS; you would need to manage that yourself. I am making the assumption that you mean from user supplied samples that is when they have been marked as Junk ? IMHO I wish Zimbra would move the Bayes to the MySQL instance so that it could be shared between mailstores and front-end MTAs.

Bug 18192 - use alternative database for SpamAssassin

Well, I said "and" because I meant both, yes.

sa-update isn't run automatically, then?
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Even though ZCS now includes those tools it does not automagically update the rules

Ok. Or I can plug it in myself. Or just know I need to do it, which is often better.

But it is safe, on the other topic, for me to assume that user-submitted spam is removed from the spam-train mailbox when it's processed?

And on the other side, since I gather SA is run from Amavisd, how does one get it to pick up newly updated rules? Does it happen automagically?

ewilen is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    But it is safe, on the other topic, for me to assume that user-submitted spam is removed from the spam-train mailbox when it's processed?
    I used to see some weirdness here--it seemed like spam wasn't being cleared out of the spam/ham accounts. I associated this with the mail having a "read" flag, but I didn't investigate or test much. Just to be on the safe side, whenever I manually examine the spam/ham accounts, I make sure to leave all the mail in an "unread" state. (My thread on this: zmtrainsa --cleanup not fully cleaning up.) For all I know, if this ever was a bug, it may have been fixed by now.

Note that the documentation for zmtrainsa isn't complete. E.g., as called in crontab, it takes a flag --cleanup but this isn't mentioned the CLI documentation, and only alluded to in the antispam topic. In addition the docs don't make clear that it can be invoked without any arguments, as is done in zimbra crontab. Also, the zimbra crontab invokes sa-learn directly, along with zmtrainsa.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

After adding custom rules, run zmamavisdctl restart && postqueue -f. The latter catches any mail that was sent or received while amavisd was restarting.

This shouldn't be a frequent occurrence. sa-update is very stable, especially for 3.2, though you should run it after each ZCS install or upgrade. Until ZCS includes the just-released 3.3.1, possibly in 6.0.7, its stock 3.2.5 rules will be quite old. Zimbra has only patched critical things like y2k10; else, releases contain rules as of 2008.

Thread Information