Thread: Moving 'promoting' LDAP - a bit lost

fruitwerks is offline New Member

Default Moving 'promoting' LDAP - a bit lost

Currently have a full blown ZCS 5.0.9 GA install running inside a Debian 4 chroot on Gentoo. All is working great.

I want to do one of two things;

Move the Zimbra LDAP content to the main Gentoo install...
    Make Gentoo use the current Zimbra LDAP...

One problem is that I hear the Zimbra schema doesn't fully support user permissions? Also I have no idea how to make my host (Gentoo install) use the Zimbra LDAP.

I currently have nothing in the host LDAP. From what I have been reading it Zimbra requires that it setup LDAP with the install script. Compiling Zimbra on Gentoo has not been achieved to my knowledge, nor is there an ebuild, so I am unable to do this.

If I can push Zimbra into the host install or push my current pam / system users to Zimbra I will be happy. I don't mind the chroot at all - it will make it very easy to move to another / dedicated server when the time comes.

Once it is said and done, I only want one ldap server handling users and Zimbra - well eventually a replica offsite, but not right now

Everything is fairly new and I only have admin users at the moment, so if I have to recreate a few accounts, I do not mind.

Thanks!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

Unfortunately that is a completely unsupported architecture. Zimbra does not have a installation for Gentoo, and I doubt it ever will, for which I do not believe you will be able to get it running.

Your best bet would be to migrate Zimbra onto a supported platform as soon as you can; which would also allow you to upgrade to the latest release more easily.

fruitwerks is offline New Member

Well, we can ignore the fact of how it is setup and running. I know there was mention of a plugin that syncs the ldap with system users, but I am unable to find it. So I know this can be done. The system sees the Zimba LDAP server as if it was installed like any other local program. So if someone can tell me how to get my system accounts into the Zimbra LDAP, I would appriciate it.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Search the Zimbra :: Wiki for the word 'posix', you could also search through the forums for this type of configuration.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fruitwerks View Post
    Well, we can ignore the fact of how it is setup and running.
    Until such time you may run into a problem which was concerns me for your sake. I hope your backups are sound. You may also consider a upgrade at some point as the version you are running is know to have a security issue, AFAIK, unless you have patched that ?

Thread Information