Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: External MySQL or Memcache servers?

  1. #1
    RoyK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    5

    Default External MySQL or Memcache servers?

    Hi all

    I have Zimbra running as an Ubuntu VM on an OpenSolaris host with VirtualBox. This works well, but since I run both MySQL and Memcached on the host OpenSolaris OS, it would be more appropriate to use these instead of virtualising them again.

    Now, is there a simple way to do this? I talked to someone on IRC that said no, don't do it, since it'll make upgrades harder etc.

    If there isn't a good way to do this, perhaps it should be added? It shouldn't be too hard to set in a config file that please use /this/ server for MySQL and /that/ server for Memcached etc.

    Best regards

    roy

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,470
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
    I have Zimbra running as an Ubuntu VM on an OpenSolaris host with VirtualBox. This works well, but since I run both MySQL and Memcached on the host OpenSolaris OS, it would be more appropriate to use these instead of virtualising them again.

    Now, is there a simple way to do this? I talked to someone on IRC that said no, don't do it, since it'll make upgrades harder etc.
    No there is no way to do that, Zimbra is supplied as a complete integrated set of packages and must be installed and used as such.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    RoyK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No there is no way to do that, Zimbra is supplied as a complete integrated set of packages and must be installed and used as such.
    Excuse my ignorance, but why is this so? A dedicated MySQL and/or memcache server would normally perform better than a complete integrated set, and would allow for Zimbra to scale better. A global configuration naming the appropriate servers and their function should be quite easy to setup.

    roy

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,470
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why is this so? A dedicated MySQL and/or memcache server would normally perform better than a complete integrated set, and would allow for Zimbra to scale better.
    IThe packages are configured to perform well for Zimbra requirements and not for a general MySQL, LDAP etc. server. It's recommended to install Zimbra on it's own server and it's specifically designed for that environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
    A global configuration naming the appropriate servers and their function should be quite easy to setup.
    Fell free to try, if you like, it is open source after all.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    LMStone's Avatar
    LMStone is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    477 Congress Street | Portland, ME 04101
    Posts
    1,367
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why is this so? A dedicated MySQL and/or memcache server would normally perform better than a complete integrated set, and would allow for Zimbra to scale better. A global configuration naming the appropriate servers and their function should be quite easy to setup.

    roy
    Each Zimbra mailbox server gets its own installation of MySQL. MySQL's config is tuned for the specific use cases of a Zimba mailbox server, with settings adjusted at installation time by the amount of RAM installed on the mailbox server. There is no RAM wasted on a QC for example, since that cache doesn't get utilized really in a Zimbra installation.

    Further, since the Zimbra MySQL instance is on the server performing the queries, communication takes place at bus speeds.

    We support a number of LAMP stack applications; this kind of setup seems pretty optimal to us, but I'd like to understand why you think a separate, dedicated MySQL server would perform better?

    All the best,
    Mark

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. External Mysql Host
    By robertjs in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 07:18 AM
  2. Zimbra fails after working for 2 weeks
    By Linsys in forum Administrators
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:42 AM
  3. [SOLVED] Install Problem in Ubuntu 6.06 Server
    By xtimox in forum Installation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
  4. Multiple LDAP servers for External Authentication
    By jmiles in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •