Thread: [SOLVED] Use a mta as an "invisible" pop relay to an outide pop server as p

izav is offline New Member

Default [SOLVED] Use a mta as an "invisible" pop relay to an outide pop server as p

Hi all,
    Following is a problem that I'm facing right now and perhaps could you give me a solution.

Consider a subcontrator hosting our company's mail solution, so our domain MX too.

Our users, when within our lan, are using perdition as a proxy server to retreive their mails against the outside subcontractor's server.

Now a Zimbra FOSS multi-server edition is installed within our lan and working well (congratulations to this good alternative/solution).
    Next we have to manage the progressive migration as we don't want a big-bang migration for some reasons.

Our subcontractor don't want to do a postfix mailtertable forward rules based on users to redirect mails to our zimbra mta.

So i would know if our zimbra mta could play the actual perdition role by contacting the remote subcontractor server and retreive mails to give them internally using imap for example (we assume this way that passwords are same on the outside and zimbra servers).

Thanks in advance
    P.S At least one beer will be offered to the winner ;o)

dave_kempe is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

You could configure the external server as a 'external account' for each internal user. So Zimbra could pop3 or imap fetch the mail from the external server, for the accounts you have migrated. You can add external sources inthe mail/accounts section in each users's preferences.
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

Yes i thought about that but the difficulties are:

- some users are using http MUA
    - some others ZIMBRA desktop
    - some others both

1) And in this case you will have to configure this new pop account on each MUA that is not so easy.

2) Next internally our perdition don't use secure connexion but the outside server, so the users will have to change their connexion parameters when using inside or outside

3) next when migration will be completely done, that is say all users migrated on zimbra, we will have to delete pop account on all MUA

4) Finally on zimbra desktop you have to configure the external pop account as a new account with smtp and all mails will be on a separate mailbox and mails will not be on only one mailbox...

That's why if zimbra could do the perdition role could be a really transparent way to manage my problem...

Thanks in advance

Ok my solution is to use Fetchmail on the mta server connecting to the remote pop server and retreiving mails for given accounts (when migrated).

apt-get install fetchmail
    cd ~/
    touch .fetchmailrc
    chmod 600 .fetchmailrc
    vi .fetchmailrc

poll REMOTEPOPSERVER with proto POP3, with options
    localdomains MAILDOMAINFROMREMOTESERVER
    user usermail@zimbradomain.com there with password PASSWORD is usermail@zimbradomain.com here

test:
    fetchmail -v

Make fetchmail retreiving mails any 5 minutes:
    fetchmail --daemon 300

Thread Information