Thread: Debian support

fmodola is offline Special Member

Default Debian support

I'm sorry to place this thread here but it's not possible for me in the announcements forum (because no sufficient rights).

Well, I wonder if Zimbra Inc planned to support officially Zimbra onto Debian, because Debian is certainly the more stable distribution I ever saw, at least as stable as the major commercial distribution (SLES or RHEL).

Debian has been one of the prefered Linux server distributions, and this, for 10 years now ... without technical loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think it would avoid installing several distributions for some administrators like me !!! (For Domino we have SLES 9, for web apps we have Debian, for several other services like zimbra we have RHEL ... how to capitalize on an unique architecture ? ... my direction says !).

Thanks to help me understand !!!

robbyt is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmodola
    I'm sorry to place this thread here but it's not possible for me in the announcements forum (because no sufficient rights).

Well, I wonder if Zimbra Inc planned to support officially Zimbra onto Debian, because Debian is certainly the more stable distribution I ever saw, at least as stable as the major commercial distribution (SLES or RHEL).

Debian has been one of the prefered Linux server distributions, and this, for 10 years now ... without technical loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think it would avoid installing several distributions for some administrators like me !!! (For Domino we have SLES 9, for web apps we have Debian, for several other services like zimbra we have RHEL ... how to capitalize on an unique architecture ? ... my direction says !).

Thanks to help me understand !!!
    I don't really know what you are asking... Are you looking for a Debian version of zimbra? There is one available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=188896

No, I know that it is supported technically.
    I'd like to know why a secure and stable distribution like Debian isn't commercially supported (no contract support) ?

Today, there is only one alternative to Red Hat : MacOS X ...
    But in my company, we have globally Debian and Suse ... but few Red Hat servers !!!
    Will it be in the plans of Zimbra to contractually support Debian and Suse ???

Thanks.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default SUSE 9 supported for 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by fmodola
    I'd like to know why a secure and stable distribution like Debian isn't commercially supported (no contract support) ?
    Will it be in the plans of Zimbra to contractually support Debian and Suse ???
    From the recent 3.2 beta announcement:
    ZCS Network Edition on SUSE ES 9*. The ZCS 3.2 Network Edition will be available on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Is it planned for Debian ... ?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

When there is enough commercial interest we'll support Debian. As you can see we've got the build it's just a matter of enough potential customers asking for it. Thus far there's lots of *interest* but no $$ so we choose to support the platforms where folks wanted to pay first. If your willing to play for a Debian commercial version please contact our sales@zimbra.com team. They are keeping a list of those interested.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information