Thread: 3.2M2 problems

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Default 3.2M2 problems

Just started a upgrade. Everything went well, all services were stopped when I started the install. The install failed complaining that it could not connect up to mysql via the socket. I was able to execute the exact command it complained about (which worked perfectly). I think reran the install.sh. Everything appeared to work, and all services were listed as being up. However, I got a invalid PDU error trying to login. running ?debug=3 I got the following message:
    Code:
    <parsererror xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/xml/parsererror.xml">XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </HR>.
    Line Number 1, Column 1049:<sourcetext><html><head><title>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15 - Error report</title><style><!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}A.name {color : black;}HR {color : #525D76;}--></style> </head><body><h1>HTTP Status 404 - Servlet SoapServlet is not available</h1><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><p><b>type</b> Status report</p><p><b>message</b> <u>Servlet SoapServlet is not available</u></p><p><b>description</b> <u>The requested resource (Servlet SoapServlet is not available) is not available.</u></p><HR size="1" noshade="noshade"><h3>Apache Tomcat/5.5.15</h3></body></html>
    Inside of the log directory, I do not see any reference why this service would have stopped.
    Last edited by JoshuaPrismon; 07-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.

After much debugging, I tracked the problem down to some of the migration scripts. Apparently somehow I have imap_id and several other changes, but the db version never incremented. I suspect that this was left over from my attempt to upgrade 3.1.4 to 3.2M1. Once that failed, I downgraded the RPMS (the version was never wrote, so it let me) back to 3.1.4.

I was able to get this partially working by doing a fresh clean install of 3.2, copied the data files over, and manually running the migration and upgrade scripts. It appears that the M1 upgrade changed part of the database, before bailing out for some reason.

Everything seemed to be working fine, until I opened the mailbox and started getting missing blob errors. Oh well.

Back to 3.2 restore from tape. Zimbra folks, I know the mailbox by mailbox restore feature is a network only thing, but there are users like my who only have 4-5 users on a box, and have no way to afford network. The backup situation on Zimbra is really bleak.

At this point, this Zimbra instance has been upgraded all the way from M1 to 3.1.4 and I suspect I would be better off with a fresh install with imapsync'ing the folder. Is there anway to save a encrypted copy of the user's password from LDAP, and then manually resetting it to that old password on a new account?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by lostknight
    At this point, this Zimbra instance has been upgraded all the way from M1 to 3.1.4 and I suspect I would be better off with a fresh install with imapsync'ing the folder. Is there anway to save a encrypted copy of the user's password from LDAP, and then manually resetting it to that old password on a new account?
    You should be able to get the password with zmprov and can reset it once you've migrated. Any other details on why 3.1.4 -> 3.2 M2 won't work for you? Maybe there is some checks we can put in to helps folks in the future.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    You should be able to get the password with zmprov and can reset it once you've migrated. Any other details on why 3.1.4 -> 3.2 M2 won't work for you? Maybe there is some checks we can put in to helps folks in the future.
    I have no idea. I have restored everything to a 3.1.4 setup. I can try to trun the upgrade again if it helps you guys at all. My suspicion is that it is due to something that screwed up somewhere between the long chain of public M1 all the way to this upgrade. If it helps at all, I will be happy to save a long and send it to you, or grant access to someone at Zimbra.

This is the first time I have had any siginificant problem upgrading Zimbra.

I am rerunning the install, this time without shutting down zimbra before hand. (I shut it down previously so I could do a cp -A to copy the entire /opt/zimbra tree before I upgraded).

So far the interesting things I see (remember that this is a v3.1.4 box) are the following:
    Checking 3.1.4_GA

Wed Jul 26 16:47:37 2006: Updating from 3.1.4_GA
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    Checking 3.2.0_M1

Wed Jul 26 16:47:38 2006: Updating from 3.2.0_M1
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.PostMethod.s etRequestContentLength(J)V
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpT ransport.java:180)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport .java:228)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.invoke (SoapProvisioning.java:154)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.soap.SoapProvisioning.soapAd minAuthenticate(SoapProvisioning.java:126)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.initProvisioning(Pr ovUtil.java:318)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.main(ProvUtil.java: 1397)
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.PostMethod.s etRequestContentLength(J)V
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpT ransport.java:180)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport .java:228)
    at com.zimbra.cs.client.soap.LmcSoapRequest.invoke(Lm cSoapRequest.java:148)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.auth(Wiki Util.java:254)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.getRootFo lder(WikiUtil.java:287)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.setFolder Permission(WikiUtil.java:309)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil.initFolders(WikiUtil.j ava:539)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil.initWiki(WikiUtil.java :576)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil.initDefaultWiki(WikiUt il.java:545)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.initNotebook(ProvUt il.java:1138)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.execute(ProvUtil.ja va:521)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.main(ProvUtil.java: 1403)
    Checking 3.2.0_M2
    Which strikes me as being a bit scary.

Quote Originally Posted by lostknight
    I am rerunning the install, this time without shutting down zimbra before hand. (I shut it down previously so I could do a cp -A to copy the entire /opt/zimbra tree before I upgraded).

So far the interesting things I see (remember that this is a v3.1.4 box) are the following:

Which strikes me as being a bit scary.

It's up and running now. I was able to reproduce the crash, it occured when I was upgrading from 3.1.4 to 3.2M2 with Zimbra shutdown before hand. When Zimbra wasn't shutdown beforehand, the upgrade succeded.

No idea why.

Thread Information