Thread: My users are VERY unhappy with version 6.0.5 bugs

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

Default My users are VERY unhappy with version 6.0.5 bugs

I'm right now getting ready to send out my fourth or fifth notice about bugs that we're experiencing in Zimbra 6.0.5 (after our upgrade from 5.0.21). We've been using Zimbra since the late 4.x series and I've never seen so many annoying and frustrating bugs. Some of those listed below are in bugzilla already. Some I haven't been able to find and I'm submitting individual support cases for each one.

• Users of Firefox version 3.5.8 have had many different issues - these have been fixed by upgrading to 3.6
    • Most users of IE 7 are unable to use the auto-complete ("Error on page" is displayed)
    • In IE 8, users are having difficulty copying & pasting while composing emails. Right clicking doesn't show copy as a choice. Using CTRL + C on highlighted text only seems to de-select this text.
    • Shared calendars are giving pop-up notifications. This has driven our departments (where many people have access to the calendars of colleagues in their office) crazy.
    • We had to reindex mailboxes for all users so that searching works. In some cases, reindexing once appeared to fix the problem. In some the problem started up again (where almost an search returned no results) and we were forced to reindex again. Even the progress bar for the reindex is broken and shows no progress (it goes from "status: running, progress: numSucceeded=0, numFailed=0, numRemaining=0" to showing that there is no index in progress for the account in question).
    • Users are unable to use 'tab' while composing a message (to move forward a tab's width in the current line).
    • On the admin side, I'm getting "Server status data is not available. To see the server status, logger service must be installed". Of course zmcontrol status returns that the logger service is in fact running.

These are not all - its just short sample of bugs that are consistently reproducible for us. None of these had been a problem in 5.0.21 or 5.0.x in general. I had hoped by waiting to 6.0.5 that bugs like these would be shaken out but its really been frustrating. Users who have thought Zimbra was the best thing since sliced bread before are now very unhappy with all the problems they've had since the upgrade last weekend.

Now - its back to searching bugzilla and submitting more reports....

bdial is offline Moderator

I can save you a bit of time with your bugzilla searching as I know a few of these that exist

Quote Originally Posted by chauvetp View Post
    [*]In IE 8, users are having difficulty copying & pasting while composing emails. Right clicking doesn't show copy as a choice. Using CTRL + C on highlighted text only seems to de-select this text.
    Bug 44748 – when i compose an e-mail in html mode i cannot right-click to copy/paste the (CRTL-C & CTRL-V work ok)
    [*]Shared calendars are giving pop-up notifications. This has driven our departments (where many people have access to the calendars of colleagues in their office) crazy.
    Bug 44609 – User's getting reminders from other users for shared calendars
    [*]Users are unable to use 'tab' while composing a message (to move forward a tab's width in the current line).
    https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=43976
    [*]On the admin side, I'm getting "Server status data is not available. To see the server status, logger service must be installed". Of course zmcontrol status returns that the logger service is in fact running.
    Seen a lot of threads on this I think it's a directory permission problem, maybe check http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...t-running.html

Thanks bdial. I didn't come across 43976 yet and I appreciate the link to the stats not running page.

You saved me some time for sure.

Two other issues I didn't mention (the first I consider another bug, and one is an annoyance but might not be a bug).

Our 'real' zimbra email addresses are username@zmail.newpaltz.edu but every user has their default 'from' address set to username@newpaltz.edu. This works fine except now in 6.0.5 when a user saves a message as a draft and goes back to edit it. When they do so, a new check box appears below the subject of "Send this message on behalf of username@newpaltz.edu". If the user does not uncheck this, they get a permission denied message.

The other thing is that if you don't click the + icon after hitting print to increase the printed text size, it is now much smaller than it was. Having to change this is cumbersome:
    - Click the print icon in Zimbra
    - Cancel the print dialog box since you're not ready to print
    - Increase the font size with the + button at the top right
    - Click Print in your web browser

soxfan is offline Moderator

As you may have seen from my two recent posts Zimbra 6.0 Oddities and More Zimbra 6.0 Oddities my users are also experiencing a lot of frustration since we upgraded from version 5.0.20 to 6.0.5 over the past weekend.

I don't have an answer for you on the small printing issue but I can tell you that I had a group of users complain to me about this on Monday morning then came back later in the day thanking me for fixing it, when I in fact didn't do anything to address the problem. Except now one of the users says he gets an extra page that is blank except for the Zimbra heading at the top of the page. I have no idea where to even begin to look for a solution to this one.

Thanks for the response soxfan. I think 'oddity' really is the best word for some of the problems. Most of what I listed were consistent problems. The only (non-size related) printing issue we've had was only for one user and it was very inconsistent (which is why I didn't report it here).

When the user printed a specific day's calendar (in day view) it printed on two pages. Neither page though printed the 5PM timeframe. It printed their 4:30PM appointment as the last item on the first page, then on the second page it printed the ending 'frame' for the calendar but no 5:00PM appointment. Printing the same thing in IE worked fine. Printing in Firefox after I set it to zoom 110% (to print larger) then showed the appointment with nothing missing.

Its just extremely quirky and its really not what I've come to expect with Zimbra (which has been up until now a very solid system for us).
    Last edited by chauvetp; 03-03-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Edit for grammar correction

Thread Information