Thread: Getting a fixed IP

Default Getting a fixed IP

Hi!

I had zimbra working in December but then we stoped due to hardware requirements. Before it was running in a virtual server and now we decided to re-install it in a hardware server. The installation is kind of the same as I followed the steps carefully and as we are thinking about changing our email server from our current ISP server to our home server, every thing must be perfect. The problem is that we have a dynamic IP and a lot of companies block emails from our server. Then I have to go to spamhaus.com and remove our ip from the blacklist but this only solves the problem for more or less 24hours.

I want to know how many problems I will solve by getting a fixed IP. One I already know. We won't be blocked everyday by the spamhaus blacklist. I also know that I need to be careful with the hackers because now they have more time to get in the system. What about the zimbra configuration such as BIND and Splid DNS? do I still have to setup that kind of things? and the MX record for email relaying? do I need one?

Thank you!

ringnebula is offline Loyal Member

Even if you get a static IP it may be in a range that most RBLs consider a consumer address so you will still be blocked. What you want to do is relay through an external SMTP server such as the one your ISP offers for use.

You still may need to run a local nameserver/do split dns depending on your setup, but using an external relay should solve your other problems.
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

As ringnebula said, it won't fix all problems.

It will fix a LOT of them though. Many ISPs and email providers (the college I'm at included) block all mail from dynamic IPs. The vast vast vast majority of such mail is spam. Getting yourself a static IP in a range where all IPs are static, will be better off.

Having an MX record is recommended, but more importantly when you get a static IP address, make sure it has a reverse DNS entry. Just as many (or more) ISPs block mail from IP addresses without proper reverse DNS entries setup. You don't even need spamhaus or an external list to do this.

weigenmann is offline Active Member

I am also looking into gettting a static IP address. Reason being, I implemented SPF, openDKIM and dk-filter to sign email before sent. That only works partially when I use my ISP to relay email.
    Setting: Global Settings - MTA - Network - Relay MTA for external delivery

Here is a result with ISP relay:
    The Port25 Solutions, Inc. team

==============
    Summary of Results
    ==============
    SPF check: softfail
    DomainKeys check: pass
    DKIM check: pass
    Sender-ID check: softfail
    SpamAssassin check: ham

Here is a result when without ISP relay:
    The Port25 Solutions, Inc. team

==============
    Summary of Results
    ==============
    SPF check: pass
    DomainKeys check: pass
    DKIM check: pass
    Sender-ID check: pass
    SpamAssassin check: ham

Question is: I am wasting money for a static IP to just have email digitally signed, authenticated, but still may risk of being rejected by some email server.

Even my ISP has nothing implemented at all in terms of SPF, DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and DomainKey (dk-filter)

In my opinion email server should look for feature like SPF,DKIM, Sender ID rather then IP in order to reject.

Thread Information