Thread: Error saving large message on IMAP Drafts folder

Bingo is offline Loyal Member

Default Error saving large message on IMAP Drafts folder

Hi all !

Zimbra ZCS 6.0.5 on Centos5 here.
    We have a problem when saving large messages to our Drafts IMAP folder.

We use Thunderbird 3 as our mail client, but I think it is not to blame : I have a Google Apps account and a Zimbra account setup on my thunderbird profile (same settings), and Gmail works whereas Zimbra gives an error.

I am not sure what the size limit is, but joining a 1MB attachment (xls file, just for testing purpose) does not work.
    On the server, the mail size limit is set to 10MB.

When saving the message, the progress bar is immediately at 100%, even though Thunderbird is still sending the message (I can see this in network monitor). When sending is complete, I get an error (something like "there was an error while copying your message, would you like to try again").
    If I check the Drafts folder, the message is there, intact, no problem.

I checked Thunderbird's IMAP log, but it is HUGE (event if I just enable it before saving the message), and I don't know what to look after. There is not obvious error message in there.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated !

Regards
    Arnaud

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    When saving the message, the progress bar is immediately at 100%, even though Thunderbird is still sending the message (I can see this in network monitor). When sending is complete, I get an error (something like "there was an error while copying your message, would you like to try again").
    If I check the Drafts folder, the message is there, intact, no problem.
    You really need to provide some more information on the problem, have a look in the log files and see what error is thrown when you try to save the message. Does this also happen when you use the Web UI? Has this only just started happening?

I would advise you to seriously consider upgrading your Zimbra version to a current release, there have been a couple of Security advisories since the version your using was released. Search the forums for details.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

We are using the latest ZImbra release. I just forgot to update my profile, but we are running ZCS 6.0.5.
    I'll check the logs tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

I checked the logs (/opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log and /var/log/zimbra.log), but found nothing special.
    I don't know what I should be looking for, but not big error was seen on the server side.

The problem might be with my mail client (Thunderbird 3.0.3 on Windows XP), but I can save drafts just fine on my Google Apps account (both Zimbra and Google Apps are configured in the same Thunderbird profile).

Note that when I save the draft on the Google Apps account, I have a normal progress bar (I mean that it is really showing some progress).
    With the Zimbra account, as soon as I click on "save" the progress bar is at 100%. It stays there for some time and then gives the error.

Thread Information