Thread: iPhone sync, and multiple store servers.

NathanL is offline Loyal Member

Default iPhone sync, and multiple store servers.

Is it possible, on zimbra 5.0.18, to redirect sync requests between store servers on a multi-server install?

EX:
    You have two store servers in your multi-server install, well call them server0 and server1.
    UserA's account is located on server1.
    You have a public facing round-robin DNS for mail.domain.com setup, so that webmail users can point their browsers to mail.domain.com, and when they login, their redirected to the appropriate store server.

Now, UserA has an iPhone, or some other active-sync device. They point their device at mail.domain.com, and the round-robin DNS points them to server1, out of luck. Everything works, everyone's happy.
    Next time around, the round-robin points them to store0. Now, the sync fails, because the users account isnt actualy on store0, its on store1.

Is there some way to get sync requests sent to store0, to redirect to store1, if the user exists on store1, and the reverse as well (store1 redirects to store0 if user exists on store0)?

Thanks!

Klug is offline Moderator

That's what zimbra-proxy is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    That's what zimbra-proxy is for...
    Yes, i've been looking into that since i posted.

Any hints on how its configured? Or does it do this out of the box? We already have dedicated zproxy servers in our multi-server install. I just need to know how to use it for phone sync.

Thanks!

I don't get it.

zimbra-proxy are supposed to be setup "stand alone".
    And to be used by everyone (except admins 8)) to connect to anything on your ZCS infrastructure: ZWC, ZCO, Zimbra Mobile, POP, IMAP, etc.

I don't get it.

zimbra-proxy are supposed to be setup "stand alone".
    And to be used by everyone (except admins 8)) to connect to anything on your ZCS infrastructure: ZWC, ZCO, Zimbra Mobile, POP, IMAP, etc.
    First, let me say that i didnt set this up originally. It was given to me when i came into my role. So why decisions were made as they were, i dont know.

Currently we use the proxy as, basically, an intermediary for pop, and imap coming in from the world.

webmail requests, sync requests, and other user facing services are sent directly to our store servers. This has been working well for us, but if directing all of this to the proxy is possible, and preferred, then i'll be happy to start working on migrating toward that.

Are you saying that out of the box, the proxy should be ready do do these things? Or is there some configuration i must do to enable it?

Thanks!

The proxy is designed for this.

You have to setup your stores to be proxy aware (search the forum for hints on this) and setup the domains to use the proxy URL(s).

Once the proxy is setup, no more direct connection to the stores.

The proxy is designed for this.

You have to setup your stores to be proxy aware (search the forum for hints on this) and setup the domains to use the proxy URL(s).

Once the proxy is setup, no more direct connection to the stores.
    I seem to be having trouble finding anything more than other users asking the same basic questions that I am. many of them from 2+ years ago, when this feature seems to have been in its infancy.

Also, I'm more interested in starting this out by routing just the zimbra mobile traffic through the proxy. Is it possible to do this one service at a time? We're concerned that our proxy server may not be up to the task of handling everything at once.

Thread Information