Thread: [SOLVED] Does anybody use external Active Directory GAL ?

ChaSer is offline Loyal Member

Default [SOLVED] Does anybody use external Active Directory GAL ?

2.5 month ago I post thread on this forum: "Not all GAL LDAP Mapping Attributes synchronized" (Not all GAL LDAP Mapping Attributes synchronized).
    and bug in bugzilla: "Some mapped External GAL (LDAP) attributes not synchronizing" (https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=43627).

There is no answer in forum thread and no answers and votes on bugzilla
    Are You use and all mapped fields synced good ?
    Help me please !

Nobody ?
    Last edited by ChaSer; 03-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Really nobody ?!

FYI

The thing that is necessary to specify port 389 instead of 3268 for Active Directory LDAP connection !!!

Information from Microsoft:
    * Port 3268. This port is used for queries specifically targeted for the global catalog. LDAP requests sent to port 3268 can be used to search for objects in the entire forest. However, only the attributes marked for replication to the global catalog can be returned. For example, a userís department could not be returned using port 3268 since this attribute is not replicated to the global catalog.
    * Port 389. This port is used for requesting information from the local domain controller. LDAP requests sent to port 389 can be used to search for objects only within the global catalogís home domain. However, the requesting application can obtain all of the attributes for those objects. For example, a request to port 389 could be used to obtain a userís department.

davidkillingsworth is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaSer View Post
    FYI

The thing that is necessary to specify port 389 instead of 3268 for Active Directory LDAP connection !!!

Information from Microsoft:
    * Port 3268. This port is used for queries specifically targeted for the global catalog. LDAP requests sent to port 3268 can be used to search for objects in the entire forest. However, only the attributes marked for replication to the global catalog can be returned. For example, a user’s department could not be returned using port 3268 since this attribute is not replicated to the global catalog.
    * Port 389. This port is used for requesting information from the local domain controller. LDAP requests sent to port 389 can be used to search for objects only within the global catalog’s home domain. However, the requesting application can obtain all of the attributes for those objects. For example, a request to port 389 could be used to obtain a user’s department.
    I just want to say thank you!

I took over the management of a Zimbra server a couple of months ago. This was the first Zimbra server we have setup in our company.

We are using an external GAL accessing an Active Directory domain via LDAP.

Initially, we just set the accounts so that the users could access their mail. Now that the migration is pretty much smoothed out, the customer wanted to add address and phone number information.

I figured out that I could add work phone number, but that was all.

After finding this post and changing my LDAP search in the GAL configuration settings to port 389 instead of 3268...suddenly all of the contact information started showing up.

Thanks again.

By the way, I find it strange that there is a "contact information" tab in the user's account settings in the Zimbra Web administration console, but those fileds are not populated. I'm guessing this is because I have configured my GAL as external.

In case anyone else finds this and wonders how to add phone number, mobile phone number, and address information to Zimbra GAL entries from Active Directory, you need to edit the user's contact details using the "Active Directory Users and Computers" management console in the Windows Active Directory environment, change the LDAP search in your GAL configuration to port 389 and disregard the contact information tab in the zimbra management console for zimbra user accounts.

Thread Information