Thread: [SOLVED] ZCO 604 on Outlook02SP3 suddenly won't sync to ZCS604 after iPhone setup

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default [SOLVED] ZCO 604 on Outlook02SP3 suddenly won't sync to ZCS604 after iPhone setup

[ And I can't edit the title. Yay. That's "Outlook03SP3". ]

My company CEO "upgraded" from a Blackberry Bold to an iPhone yesterday. He was about our 5th iPhone (and I sent out a "best efforts" CYA mail several months ago :-), and most of the other ones went ok, but his is giving me troubles.

I upgraded iTunes to 9.0.3, and his firmware to 3.1.3, and set up his IMAP/3G connection, and that's working fine.

I set up iTunes to sync, and pulled his contacts out of Outlook/ZCO, and moved them to the phone, and that worked ok.

I then restarted Outlook and got what seems to be the standard "ZCO doesn't like your iTunes addin, we're going to disable it if that's ok with you" message -- which, BTW, *really* should be labelled as being generated by ZCO, so Windows support people have a clue about it -- and I let it disable it.

But now *Outlook* doesn't pull any mail on a sync cycle through ZCO to ZCS.

I've rebooted the Windows machine and restarted ZCS; I see the sync entries in the ZCS logs for the connection from the workstation, I don't get any errors on either end, just no mail comes down.

If I pin up both the Outlook and Zimbra progress dialogs on Windows, the Outlook one shows 0/0 complete, and the Zimbra one shows a successful sync... repeatedly, about every 30 seconds, counting up: 1/1... 2/2... 3/3...

No matter how long I wait, Outlook never gets to 1/1, and Zimbra never quits. And I never get any mail.

I turned on Outlook logging, and there's nothing in there that looks like an error. I only just learned about ZCO logging, and I haven't been able to get into the desktop to turn it on yet.

My boss wants me to uninstall and reinstall Outlook, but I'm afraid I'll have to jettison my current (10.3GB) ZDB if I do that, and I can't sell the time to do that during the workday, it will have to wait until 5. I should note that both Outlook and ZCO have been working fine for several weeks, since he got a new PC; the OS is XPSP3 from Dell.

Side note: can someone explain to me why ZCO seems to find it necessary to *cache the entire mailstore on the workstation*... if Outlook, talking to a real Exchange server doesn't?

It's a *massive*, cataleptic, armageddon-scale pain in the ass, so much so that I'm about to call it a bug and hang a ticket on it.
    Last edited by Baylink; 02-23-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: ETA: "was-working" and wstn OS
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Could the account be locked due to wrong password?

No, cause a) I'd get an error (I know this, cause it's happened before), and b) the password can be used to log into ZCSweb.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

I'm going to just drop back 10 and punt on this today, and whack the ZDB cache and see what happens on the rebuild.

I tried to do it last night, but at the last minute I realized (ta da!) that since the boss is on IMAP now, and I didn't have a) his password or b) his admin asst, I was going to have to *change* his password and c) his iPhone would break.

So I didn't.

So of course, that's when his iPhone broke *anyway* for other reasons I'm not clear on.

<sigh>

Happily, whacking his ZDB and letting it rebuild fixed the problem.

Tune in again soon for my standalone thread: "Why does ZCO need to cache 12GB of amil on my workstation?", coming soon, to a forum near you.

bdial is offline Moderator

this isn't uncommon, and a lot of people prefer it because then it works in offline mode. i think it does the same thing by default in exchange

Thread Information