Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyper-v or Vmware

hfield is offline Member

Yes. That is what it came to for me. The local datastore is SAS and RAID 10. I am using ghettoBackup to backup to an iSCSI store though. The disconnects that I was getting just seemed to have something to do with the high disk usage of the email server as it filters junk mail or something. As I said, we weren't having problems with other iSCSI target drives.

digg1980 is offline Starter Member

Default A good comparison between Hyper-V & VMware

Well another good comparison that might be of your interest is MS Hyper-V R2 vs VMware ESX 4

Although the above comparison is not related to Zimbra, it can give you a good idea of the difference between the two virtualization products.

I hope this help,
    Erick
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-28-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: (sig)

fcash is offline Elite Member

We're using Linux-KVM for our Zimbra setup, as well as for a bunch of other VM purposes. It's much lighter-weight than VMWare, and it avoids all the Windows crud of Hyper-V. (Yeah, we're a non-MS shop.)

The one downside to KVM is the lack of good GUI admin tools. However, things are getting better.

Our current KVM setup is a quad-core 2.2 GHz AMD Opteron system wtih 16 GB of RAM and 4 TB of SATA disk in RAID 6 (yes, it's not optimal, we're moving to SAN storage over the summer).

Running Zimbra NE 5.0.13 with 1600 webmail users (1 VM for everything).

And there are 7 other VMs (including 2 Windows XP) running on that server without any issues.
    Freddie

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

@fcash
    if you looking for KVM gui or management for your VM infrastructure then try
    Convirture: Enterprise-class management for open source virtualization
    i have not personally installed or tried it but this looks promising for non Vmware or Hyper-v solution.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

fcash is offline Elite Member

We've looked at just about all of the Linux VM management tools out there. Unfortunately, they all seem to require a Linux-only VM stack, even for the storage boxes. And storage management tools on Linux are beyond horrible. For our SAN-based VM setup, we'll be using FreeBSD+ZFS to manage storage (via iSCSI and NFS) ... which none of the Linux VM management tools know how to work with. Yes, a lot of them support iSCSI for VM storage, but they require you to run Linux on the storage box to manage the iSCSI exports, which is beyond horrible to do. Which is why we're rolling our own scripts to manage KVM/Xen setups.

(It would be so nice if Linux devs had a "use the best tool for the job" mentality, instead of a "use nothing but Linux, and rewrite everything after 6 months" mentality.)

Hrm, upon further review of Convirt 2.0, it might suit our purposes, as it doesn't include a "storage server manager" component, just a "storage manager" that looks after the iSCSI exports from the storage server (but doesn't create/delete them). oVirt, Virt-Manager, Enomalism, etc all want to run on the storage server, which means the storage server has to run Linux, which means you lose all the ZFS goodness and solid iSCSI support.
    Last edited by fcash; 05-04-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add note about convirt 2.0
    Freddie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information