Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMAP IDLE notifies on SPAM messages

Oded Arbel is offline Intermediate Member

Default IMAP IDLE notifies on SPAM messages

Hi. I have an issue with a 6.0.5 install and IMAP IDLE.

I'm using a mobile phone that implements "push e-mail" using IMAP IDLE, and whenever I get a SPAM message - even though it files directly into the SPAM folder - I get a notification in the phone that I got a new e-mail.

So what happens is that my phone beeps, says "you got 2 email", I click on "view" to see the list of messages in the Inbox and there are no new e-mail there because Zimbra files the emails automatically to the SPAM folder. Additionally, the count of "unread emails" in the mail application is incremented whenever a new e-mail notification is received so it might say that I have 40 unread e-mails and when I open the list I only see 2 unread e-mails.

Also interesting is that e-mails that are filed to other folders using user defined filters do not cause IMAP IDLE notifications.

Any body else seen this problem?

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Same problem here. I believe it may be an IMAP server setting. I have what I think is the setting changes required for a Courier IMAP server --

set IMAP_CHECK_ALL_FOLDERS=1 and IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=1

However, I don't know what Zimbra uses for an IMAP server. Also, I'm not sure whether this would solve the spam notifications.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

What device(s) are you using?

I've never seen this, though we might only have iPhone clients using IMAP, the rest ActiveSync.

I have lots of desktop IMAP clients, mostly MacOS Mail and Thunderbird. Never seen this problem there either.

Oded Arbel is offline Intermediate Member

I don't think desktop clients use IMAP idle - for all of them you simply configure the polling time.

I'm using Sony Ericsson P1i. Does the iPhone use IMAP IDLE or some other method to do "push e-mail"? I know ActiveSync is specifically not IMAP IDLE - its HTTP polling.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oded Arbel View Post
    I don't think desktop clients use IMAP idle - for all of them you simply configure the polling time.
    They certainly do, Thunderbird & Zimbra Desktop for starters - for the rest see this page: IMAP IDLE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Yep, in my case, actually Thunderbird is the one I'm having this problem with.

It won't notify for new messages in all folders, only on the Inbox (I have all my message rules server side), and it "dings" for new messages when there aren't any (I think it may be emails getting put in the spam folder).

Are there any changes I can make for Zimbra to notify on IMAP IDLE for new messages in all folders (except Junk)?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bjquinn View Post
    Yep, in my case, actually Thunderbird is the one I'm having this problem with.

It won't notify for new messages in all folders, only on the Inbox (I have all my message rules server side), and it "dings" for new messages when there aren't any (I think it may be emails getting put in the spam folder).

Are there any changes I can make for Zimbra to notify on IMAP IDLE for new messages in all folders (except Junk)?
    IMAP IDLE is a feature that ensures new mail is seen in the client the moment it's received at the server, it is not a 'new mail notification' feature. AFAIK, the notification is only for new mail in the Inbox so if you want that feature for other folders I'd suggest you head over to bugzilla to see if there's any relevant RFE and if not file one.

BTW, I assume that by notification you're talking about something other than the folder that mail arrives in is more than just highlighted in bold?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Well, when Thunderbird downloads an email, it typically plays a sound, pops up a message preview window by the system tray, and turns the folder blue. This works for any folder, as long as Thunderbird knows there's a message to download.

I've seen mention of ways to "push" email for all folders for Courier IMAP, etc. What software does Zimbra use for IMAP?

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Zimbra wrote their own IMAP server.

I think you're all misunderstanding what IDLE is. Here's how to use it manually. Things you type are in boldface. You can replace the first command with telnet mail.example.com 143 if your server doesn't require SSL.

Code:
    openssl s_client -quiet -connect mail.example.com:993
    * OK mail.example.com Zimbra IMAP4rev1 service ready
    1 login Username@example.com Password
    1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ACL BINARY CATENATE CHILDREN CONDSTORE ENABLE ESEARCH ESORT I18NLEVEL=1 ID IDLE LIST-EXTENDED LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS MULTIAPPEND NAMESPACE QRESYNC QUOTA RIGHTS=ektx SASL-IR SEARCHRES SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT UIDPLUS UNSELECT WITHIN X-DRAFT-I00-LIST-STATUS] LOGIN completed
    2 select inbox
    * 4658 EXISTS
    * 0 RECENT
    * OK [UNSEEN 1999] mailbox contains unseen messages
    2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
    3 idle
    + idling
    And then the connection sits there. If the client wants to execute another command, or to ensure that the connection stays alive (30 minutes is a typical period), then it sends DONE. If the server wishes to notify the client of a new message, it sends the updated message count without waiting for the next DONE/IDLE refresh cycle.

Code:
    * 4659 EXISTS
    * 1 RECENT
    If the client wishes to act on this information, it sends a DONE and fetches the new message(s).

When I speak IMAP to my 6.0.4 server, I see correct behavior. The untagged mesages are sent only for messages in the currently selected inbox folder.

Those of you seeing this problem with 6.0.5, please try this.

If your IMAP client, for whatever reason, had Junk selected before going IDLE, then Zimbra should and will notify it of new Junk messages. I recall that some IMAP clients keep multiple connections open to multiple folders in order to improve responsiveness. You should see evidence of this in mailbox.log.

In other words, Zimbra's IMAP server only works on a folder-by-folder basis, so you'd have to have a separate connection open (one for each folder, potentially hundreds of them) in order for the server to notify the client of a new message in more than just one folder?

Courier-IMAP has IMAP_CHECK_ALL_FOLDERS and IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE options so that the server will notify the client of new messages in ANY folder, not just the one selected. Is this feature not available in Zimbra?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information