Thread: May i move LDAP master server AFTER installation?

DRVTiny is offline Banned

Lightbulb May i move LDAP master server AFTER installation?

I want to move master LDAP server to another host after installation, but in official documentation described only split-server configuration during installation process. So my question is: can i do it with a working environment? Now i'm trying to forward all local requests to LDAP through ssh tunneling with "ssh -L", but failure...

P.S. Does OpenLDAP's UNIX local socket /opt/zimbra/openldap-2.4.20.4z/var/run/ldapi MUST exists???

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Search the wiki for "Promoting".

I dont want to promote replica to anywhere, i need to run my OpenLDAP server with the addition of two schemas from Zimbra and Amavis and with ability to use this directory not only for Zimbra, but for any services on the network (DNS, DHCP, Public Key infrastructure, CA, Samba, SUDO, SSH, Automounter, etc.). Why it is so hard??? I've launched OpenLDAP with Zimbra data and cn=config tree on another host machine, but i dont know how to tell Zimbra to use it instead of its local master server.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DRVTiny View Post
    I dont want to promote replica to anywhere, i need to run my OpenLDAP server with the addition of two schemas from Zimbra and Amavis and with ability to use this directory not only for Zimbra, but for any services on the network (DNS, DHCP, Public Key infrastructure, CA, Samba, SUDO, SSH, Automounter, etc.). Why it is so hard??? I've launched OpenLDAP with Zimbra data and cn=config tree on another host machine, but i dont know how to tell Zimbra to use it instead of its local master server.
    You can't use another LDAP server instead of the one in Zimbra, you must use the LDAP that Zimbra installs. You can use another LDAP server for authentication if you wish but the Zimbra LDAP must be retained.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hmm... But WHY? I am experienced OpenLDAP administrator, i use the community edition of Zimbra and.... Zimbra LDAP - it's a fiction, because thereis no such directory server: in Zimbra's home i found simplest OpenLDAP modified only with some new objectClass'es and attributeTypes. My organization have its own OpenLDAP catalogue with a lot of collected data, so its very strange that Zimbra suggests me to use the absolutely ordinary OpenLDAP 2.4.21, but from your collaboration suite. Are this requirements based on religious preferences of Zimbra developers?..

uxbod is offline Moderator

No, it is down to what happens across upgrades; and also support for NE clients.

But i've running OpenLDAP on Calculate Directory Server and Zimbra working well with my OpenLDAP without any problems

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DRVTiny View Post
    But i've running OpenLDAP on Calculate Directory Server and Zimbra working well with my OpenLDAP without any problems
    If all your using the external LDAP for is Authentication, why wouldn't it? Your initial questions implied you were trying to do something other than that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information