Thread: Outgoing Mails are going to SPAM Folder

pankaj_garg is offline Junior Member

Question Outgoing Mails are going to SPAM Folder

Hello,
    I have just configured zimbra 6.0 open source edition.
    The problem is that all my outgoing emails are going to SPAM folder on yahoo mail and rediff mail. How can I troubleshoot this problem, so that outgoing mails send by users will not be treated as spam by outside domains.

Thanks in advance.
    Pankaj Garg

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It would be the same answer I gave you in this thread. Have you fixed the Reverse DNS problem? Have you also followed the advice in that thread about marking the email as not junk at the yahoo server? Have you also found out why the email is going into the Yahoo Junk folder? Have you also searched these forums for details on why this happens?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

syedbilalmasaud is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pankaj_garg View Post

Hello,
    I have just configured zimbra 6.0 open source edition.
    The problem is that all my outgoing emails are going to SPAM folder on yahoo mail and rediff mail. How can I troubleshoot this problem, so that outgoing mails send by users will not be treated as spam by outside domains.

Thanks in advance.
    Pankaj Garg

Dear Pankaj,

to make sure your mail should reach properly in inbox not in Spam , you have to follow the following instructions

1:- Make sure the IP address is not blacklisted with any RBL's Containers , verify it on some websites for example MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox or whatever you like
    2:- If your server name is 'mail.foo.org' , than its better that your MX entry in your DNS should be same name like 'mail.foo.org' as well as reverse Name should be same
    3:- Add SPF and TXT records in your DNS
    4:- & if you will DKfilter in your MTA , it will also prevent your mail going to spam folder

5: -Proper Installation of Zimbra CS , make sure you will not cheat DNS during installation of ZCS , it will also efect your email delivery performance

If you follow all these steps honestly than your Email Send/Receive will be super fast like google , yahoo etc

For any production server you must install it on good hardware specially you should have 4GB RAM

these are very basic steps , if you want to configure production Email server and make your life relax after installation

Cheers
    Bilal

Hello Bill,
    Thanks for reply. We are using ipower for dns hosting. I talked to their tech support team.
    They don't support PTR records but they do support SPF records and they added necessary SPF records for our domain in DNS. But still mails are going to spam folder.
    I want to share following information with you:
    1) I used MX Lookup tool and our site is not blacklisted.
    2)The FQDN of mail server matches exactly to MX entry in DNS.
    3) ipower has alraedy added SPF and TXT records in their DNS for our domain, but they don't support PTR records.
    4) I supplied the proper domain name while installing zimbra, and it installed comfortably without showing any error.
    5) But I haven't applied DKfilter in our MTA yet.
    Is there anything else I can do to get rid off this problem
    Thanks once again.
    Regards,
    Pankaj Garg

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Your PTR record will need to be handled by your ISP or whoever owns your IP space.

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for reply.
    I have tried almost everything I knew to resolve the problem. But mails are still going to spam on yahoo and hotmail, wheras in case of gmail and rediffmail they are going to inbox as expected. I even configured my own dns server to use with zimbra mail server as our domain hosting provider don't support spf and ptr records. I talked to my ISP and got reverse dns configured for our mail server on ISP's name server. I have also configured spf and MX records and DKIM with dkim-milt on my dns server. The MX records for our mail server are also being provided by the domain hosting provider. I also used MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox to perform various mail server related tests but couldn't find anything suspicious. Could you please suggest what should I do in this situation. I am using zimbra 6 collaboration suite on CentOS 5.3 as Internet email server. Following is the header of outgoing email from our email server that went to spam folder on yahoo mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Pankaj Garg Wed Feb 17 11:18:18 2010
    X-Apparently-To: pankaj.garg@optiontown.com via 74.6.114.45; Wed, 17 Feb 2010 03:18:21 -0800
    Return-Path: <pankaj.garg@myoptiontown.com>
    X-YahooFilteredBulk: 202.140.34.84
    X-YMailISG: RMedtU4WLDt8vnnon_LEnfiK86qVadyueLMBZZM2XzOvqbCoOw 6HKRh01N47p3C.uiQzvFEtUH9Xt2m3TToJQlmqd.y4dKnrGw31 m78OD0TexZAkQ57Afd2B2oG0BhQMSD8HPG_HhVYdXkCoN8P983 d5nGXhNmaqm3cLEWEWcTiFZyuVFo.LhsxiVmBg9vCjdvZxIMrU tp0AUshvJnrB6hCrOYXxppStPikZS6CPoEMYo2uJYT_mvx6NqK KanpU3rjeSTcIS4qaHpoFq
    X-Originating-IP: [202.140.34.84]
    Authentication-Results: mta118.biz.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=myoptiontown.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=myoptiontown.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 202.140.34.84 (EHLO mail.myoptiontown.com) (202.140.34.84) by mta118.biz.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 17 Feb 2010 03:18:21 -0800
    Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by mail.myoptiontown.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8CA8B57F9A0 for <pankaj.garg@optiontown.com>; Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:48:19 +0530 (IST)
    X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at myoptiontown.com
    Received: from mail.myoptiontown.com ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (mail.myoptiontown.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id RziipQmzmHgr for <pankaj.garg@optiontown.com>; Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:48:18 +0530 (IST)
    Received: from mail.myoptiontown.com (mail.myoptiontown.com [202.140.34.84]) by mail.myoptiontown.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id C21A057F99F for <pankaj.garg@optiontown.com>; Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:48:18 +0530 (IST)
    X-DKIM: Sendmail DKIM Filter v2.8.3 mail.myoptiontown.com C21A057F99F
    Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:48:18 +0530 (IST)
    Pankaj Garg <pankaj.garg@myoptiontown.com>
    Add sender to Contacts
    To: pankaj.garg@optiontown.com
    Message-ID: <13886924.9.1266405498727.JavaMail.root@mail.myopt iontown.com>
    Subject: Zimbra Mail Server
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Originating-IP: [192.168.64.13]
    X-Mailer: Zimbra 6.0.4_GA_2038.RHEL5 (zclient/6.0.4_GA_2038.RHEL5)
    Content-Length: 0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards,
    Pankaj Garg

Thread Information