Thread: Configuring Zimbra to download mail from ISP and serving it through imap

ejecthunter is offline Member

Default Configuring Zimbra to download mail from ISP and serving it through imap

hi,

i dont wanna seem like a suckup, but zimbra is easier than exchange!!!

anyway back to my question, in my small company we have around 20 users who have email provided by the ISP, now all these users have to constantly sync their pst files to the laptops in order to keep all the inbox and sent messages up to date, which is frankly very very annoying!!! i have been doing this for past 6 months and i am sick of it.!

i am trying to configuring zimbra to download the ISP's mail and then serve it to the users through Imap.

is there any tutorial of a guide which i can follow. many thanks for your help.

regards

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I assume this is about Zimbra Collaboration Suite and not Zimbra Desktop? If that's correct I'll move this thread to the correct forum.

If you have a multi-drop mailbox at your ISP then you can download mail with fetchmail, search the forums for the word 'fetchmail' for some instructions.

Could you update your forum profile with the output of the following commands run on the Zimbra server (do not post the output in this thread):

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ejecthunter is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I assume this is about Zimbra Collaboration Suite and not Zimbra Desktop? If that's correct I'll move this thread to the correct forum.

If you have a multi-drop mailbox at your ISP then you can download mail with fetchmail, search the forums for the word 'fetchmail' for some instructions.

Could you update your forum profile with the output of the following commands run on the Zimbra server (do not post the output in this thread):

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    sorry didnt mention that i was using Zimbra Collaboration suite,

i dont understand what u mean by multi-drop mailbox...we basically use POP and SMTP to connect to the ISP using outlook 2003 and then it downloads the mail.

my impression of ZCS is that it would help me to download all the messages and then i can use ZCS to do the following:

say all mail has been downloaded into the database of zcs for all the appropriate users.

and then i use the https://221.124.x.x to log into the ZCS as a user and view and reply to all my mail

or add the outlook patch to my PC and use imap service to receive and send emails.

please correct me if i am wrong. does imap store email at the server or not?

I am using the Turnkey linux zimbra solution,

can you please explain.
    thanks
    Last edited by ejecthunter; 01-26-2010 at 01:13 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Details of a multidrop mailbox are here:

getmail configuration (version 4)
    "multidrop mailbox" - Yahoo! Search Results

Please update your forum profile with the output of the commands that I've asked your for. Telling me you have the 'Turnkey' mail server doesn't tell anyone which version of Zimbra you're using and we have to keep asking the same question each time you make a post.

Your best option would be to use Fetchmail which is a utility to get mail from an external server and drop it in local mailboxes, please search the forums for details as I've suggested -- you'll find all the information you need to implement it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information