Thread: Implementing system wide mandatory signatures feature

sadams@bigrocksports.com is offline Senior Member

Default Implementing system wide mandatory signatures feature

I just upgraded to 6.0.4 and would like to implement this new feature. In the past, I was using the altermime method; which was a pain to re-implement after every upgrade.

I am confused trying to follow the directions on turning the new feature. I typed the following:

"zmprov mcf zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureEnabled TRUE"

I am not clear on the next command:
    "zmprov mcf zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureText <some text>"

My current disclaimer is in a disclaimer.txt file and is formatted as shown at the bottom of this email. Can I reference the text file when setting the <some text>? Or do I have to cut and paste the whole string? I am concerned about the formatting of it if I paste it as one long string.

Thanks for any help. Current altermime disclaimer follows:

================================================== ======================
    This communication, together with any attachments hereto or links
    contained herein, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
    may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If
    you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
    review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of
    this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this
    communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
    e-mail message and delete the original and all copies of the
    communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from
    your system.

jonallport is offline Special Member

If you've already got the disclaimer in a file then I'd do:

Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureText "$(cat disclaimer.txt)"
    for the plaintext and
    Code:
    zmprov mcf zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureHTML "<html><pre>$(cat disclaimer.txt)</pre></html>"

Thanks for the reply. I was able to run the command to pull in my old disclaimer files. However, now my signatures are one very long line. To overcome this with the altermime method, I used hard returns at the end of each line. Any advice on how to get the signatures to format correctly using the new method?

Dirk is offline Moderator

I'd say dont bother about the linebreaks in the plain text version, but instead make it shorter.

For instance: "If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of
    this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED"

That's not really needed, it tells me that if the email is not for me, then I should not read it (review). I have to read the email to read the disclaimer. So everyone automatically breaches that clause.

Also: If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return Nope. Cant do that, that would be admitting to reading it, and also in violation of the 'disclosure' part of the first clause.

Then: "delete the original and all copies of the communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from your system." This may not be possible if emails recieved by by system are archived for security reasons, and what I do with my system is none of your business.

So, you could just do it all one one line: "This communication is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected."

Done

I agree with your comments, Dirk. But our "legal" department requires this. I can't change it. Is there any other way to get around the one long line signature using this new method? I would rather not revert back to the altermime method.

padraig is offline Elite Member

Thumbs up our disclaimer is quite long

Quote Originally Posted by sadams@bigrocksports.com View Post
    I agree with your comments, Dirk. But our "legal" department requires this. I can't change it. Is there any other way to get around the one long line signature using this new method? I would rather not revert back to the altermime method.
    I Would also like to do this our disclaimer is quite long
    Thanks For any replies,
    p.

liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member

I have tried every way to get a long Text signature into - and out of - the zmprov command, and have failed at every turn.

It seems to strip all carraige return/line feeds and then pass the text out in chunks of whatever line length is allowed in the vi editor - which in my case puts a new line right in the middle of a word.

The only solution I have found is a manual copy of the Text signature file after every Zimbra restart.

1. Set all 3 attributes through zmprov as detailed in the release notes.

2. Use a text editor to create global-default.txt with whatever formatting you need.

3. After each restart of Zimbra, copy global-default.txt to the folder /opt/zimbra/data/altermime/

It is obviously not ideal to have to do this - but it works.

Provided you have the Text signature set through the zmprov tool to begin with, the worst case is that you get an unformatted plain text signature going out after a restart - up until you remember to copy the file again.

Further possibilities I have not tried as yet ...

I did consider editing the zmcontrol script to add the copy to the do_startup subroutine - but decided against it as any upgrade will override it.

The other possibility I guess would be to make the signature file read-only to zimbra but I haven't tested to see what would happen durig a startup when the file could not be overwritten. If anyone does try, please let me know the results.

sugiggs is offline Loyal Member

Then just remove the "review" clause from the disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I'd say dont bother about the linebreaks in the plain text version, but instead make it shorter.

For instance: "If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of
    this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED"

That's not really needed, it tells me that if the email is not for me, then I should not read it (review). I have to read the email to read the disclaimer. So everyone automatically breaches that clause.

Also: If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return Nope. Cant do that, that would be admitting to reading it, and also in violation of the 'disclosure' part of the first clause.

Then: "delete the original and all copies of the communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from your system." This may not be possible if emails recieved by by system are archived for security reasons, and what I do with my system is none of your business.

So, you could just do it all one one line: "This communication is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected."

Done

Baylink is offline Elite Member

FWIW: Zimbra is fundamentally incapable of dealing with the idea of hard-wrapped lines, everywhere.

I have half a dozen bugs 12 months old now that amount to that (and the other mailinglist incompliance problems that cause me to have over 100k list emails filed up that I can't overcome the pain to actually participate in).

So you can hang a bug on this, but I wouldn't expect to get too far. I'm too tired of the issue even to be polite to them about it anymore on the fora.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

uxbod is offline Moderator

What happens if you put it all in as a single line but use \n where you want the break points ?

Thread Information