Thread: Weird delivery error

i2ambler is offline Special Member

Default Weird delivery error

I am getting a weird error when trying to send email to anyone in our domain that is not a zimbra user.

Your message WAS SUCCESSFULLY RELAYED to:
    <david.irwin@domain.com>

The message WAS NOT relayed to:
    <""@domain.com>: [127.0.0.1] said:
    501 5.1.3 Failed, id=15301-01, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax

Where could that be coming from?? It was working okay yesterday, and continuing testing today this starting happening. Ive messed with so much, im having a hard time remember where the heck something like this could have come from.

the user is not receiving the email.

This WAS working.. and its making me mad.. I checked the split domain settings, and they are fine.. I have the catchall set properly. grumble.
    Last edited by i2ambler; 01-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Have you set up a filter with a forward on it ? are you using blind_cc ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Have you set up a filter with a forward on it ? are you using blind_cc ?
    No. Straight up sending to someone in my domain that doesn't exist in zimbra.. Happens with any of my zimbra accounts when sending from zimbra to non zimbra accounts in my domain. I can send outside of my domain without issue.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by i2ambler View Post
    Happens with any of my zimbra accounts when sending from zimbra to non zimbra accounts in my domain.
    Then where, exactly, does the account exist? Have you looked at the Split Domain documentation?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Then where, exactly, does the account exist? Have you looked at the Split Domain documentation?
    Yes, I have set up split domain as they recommended with zimbra the secondary.. It was working for a time, but I rebooted the system and now no longer wants to work. Bascically when a domain.com user sends to a domain.com user who doesnt exist in zimbra it immediately bounces when it should forward to the zimbraMailTransport entry. However, it is not. Interestingly enough, if I change the zimbramailtransport for an individual zimbra user over to my domain's zimbramailtransport it that individual user's mail routes correctly.. but it just doesnt seem to be reading the domain-wide zimbramailtransport setting for some reason.
    Last edited by i2ambler; 01-22-2010 at 06:30 AM.

I'd go through the document and check that everything is still set-up correctly. Could you post some of the errors you see in the log files when you send an email. I'm also assuming that your other server is still contactable via DNS, can you check from the Zimbra server?
    Regards

Bill

I'd go through the document and check that everything is still set-up correctly. Could you post some of the errors you see in the log files when you send an email. I'm also assuming that your other server is still contactable via DNS, can you check from the Zimbra server?
    all of the split domain settings are correct and the other smtp server is connectable from the zimbra server: I have even go so far as to set it up in the hosts table.. from zimbra server I can telnet to port 25 of foreign server.. The zimbra error message just says bounced.

zimbraserver postfix/error[1427]: D7938100003: to=<david.irwin@domain.com>, relay=none, delay=0.14, delays=0.06/0.06/0/0.02, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced ([smtp.domain.com])

however, the message is not getting to smtp.domain.com... and if it were a problem with smtp.domain.com I wouldnt be able to set the user's zimbramailtransport and have it send through. Its very strange.. Im on the verge of deleting the domain and starting again: however, this doesnt bode very well for future usability. I have lots of users that want to get in to test this, and some that are already in testing it: but they cant send email to anyone in our company that arent already using zimbra.

So, just for my clarification, you're saying that you've followed the instructions here: Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki - is that correct? You've made the changes to ZImbra and turned off DNS lookups and is the Exchange server on the same network and are you using it's internal name? Can you telnet to that server (from the zimbra server) via DNS and IP? How about showing me the modifications you've made and that they're all set correctly?
    Regards

Bill

So, just for my clarification, you're saying that you've followed the instructions here: Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki - is that correct? You've made the changes to ZImbra and turned off DNS lookups and is the Exchange server on the same network and are you using it's internal name? Can you telnet to that server (from the zimbra server) via DNS and IP? How about showing me the modifications you've made and that they're all set correctly?
    Yes, I have followed the split domain directions exactly.. I am using our mta's internal name, it is not on the same network, but it doesnt matter because I can telnet to port 25 of the sendmail server(not exchange) from zimbra. This was working at a time, but i rebooted the server, and now it is not.. I have retested all of these settings (i.e. telnetting etc) since rebooting.. it should work..

Again - let me clarify: I have tested changing zimbramailtransport for an individual zimbra user to our smtp.domain.com address - sent an email from inside zimbra - and the mail was routed correctly to smtp.domain.com and the email ended up in sendmail as I would expect it would. However, it should do this for non-zimbra users of the same @domain.com according to the below settings I have cut and pasted from the server:

zimbraMailCatchAllAddress: @domain.com
    zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress: @domain.com
    zimbraMailTransport: smtp:smtp.domain.com:25
    zimbramtadnslookupsenabled: FALSE
    zimbramtarelayhost: smtp.domain.com:25

Thread Information