Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to restore the mail(/opt/zimbra/store)?

victorLeong is offline Active Member

Default How to restore the mail(/opt/zimbra/store)?

Hi, guys
    I have to do the backup "/opt/zimbra/store" only(I don't want to do the full backup and full restore). Now, I just want to restore the whole mails to the zimbra. Therefore, I have tried to restore, but it seems that I should backup the "/opt/zimbra/db/data". Otherwise, the restore mails won't appear on the web interface. However, I just have to backup "/opt/zimbra/store" only.

Have any tricky methods to deal with it?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

If you backup the store only, you won't have the sql data that tells you which messages belong where. (I think)

Dirk is offline Moderator

Sounds like you backed up wrongly, but is it possible that reindexing each mailbox may fix it all?

victorLeong is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Sounds like you backed up wrongly, but is it possible that reindexing each mailbox may fix it all?
    Any methods can reindex each mailbox?

Dirk is offline Moderator

You can perform a reindex on a mailbox using the admin web interface. Go to accounts, select the account to test on, I'd suggest a mailbox you know to be quite small, and edit it.

Once in edit you should be able to press the reindex button at the top - but I've really no idea if it will actually help, I'm simply guessing that you have backed up the mail data and not the indexes, so having zimbra rebuild the indexes should make the mail appear.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default real backups = better idea

Quote Originally Posted by victorLeong
    I have to do the backup "/opt/zimbra/store" only(I don't want to do the full backup and full restore). Now, I just want to restore the whole mails to the zimbra. Therefore, I have tried to restore, but it seems that I should backup the "/opt/zimbra/db/data". Otherwise, the restore mails won't appear on the web interface. However, I just have to backup "/opt/zimbra/store" only.
    I'd encourage you to do real backups, if at all possible. Anything else is going to end up hacky and you're probably not going to be happy with the results. You can even take a look at this thread to see what some other users are doing with backups of the OSS version.

If you genuinely can't back up anything but the message files, you will have only 1/3 of the data necessary to fully recover a mailbox. The index can be regenerated from the database and the message files, but the database is authoritative as to which messages are in the mailbox. Without the database, you can't run.

The best I can come up with would be to take the message files and re-inject them into a mailbox, one folder of messages at a time. I believe the command to do this is zmlmtpinject. This won't recover your contacts or appointments or folders or tags or unread states and it won't recognize if a given message is already in the target mailbox, but it's probably better than the alternatives.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

tutu4adrian is offline Member

Default Backup individual mailbox

Hi guys,

I wanted to backup individual inbox (message) for daily backup for cases like mails lost due to user accidentally deleted and wanted to retrieve it for that particular day. Is Open Source Zimbra able to do so... Or can i just backup folder /opt/zimbra/db .. pls advise

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

I'm gonna say no.
    As dkarp said, if you only backup a little bit, it's gonna be hacky. It's gonna be all or nothing.

The NE has the individual mailbox backup and restore.

You should download the trial, and give it a try (you can downgrade later).
    For a long time, I was a happy OSS customer, but now that we have NE, i'm even happier.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Real per-mailbox backups: Network Edition

If you want real per-user backups, as wannabetenor said, Network Edition is your best bet.

If you just want to do a quick hacky version, you can use curl, a cron job, and the REST interface to fetch a zipfile of the user's Inbox once a night. Then, if you ever want to restore an old mail, you'd unzip the appropriate archive, use grep to find the right message(s), and use zmlmtpinject to add them back to the user's mailbox as a new message. Real backups are much better, but this'd probably work in a pinch.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

tutu4adrian is offline Member

Default How to restore the mail(/opt/zimbra/store)?

Hi guys,

Thank for your feedbacks & advise. I thinking is it possible for all my users emails receive send one copy into my admin account? Is it possible?

Adrian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information