Thread: Date/Timestamp

bards1888 is offline Intermediate Member

Default Date/Timestamp

Hello,

I installed 3.2 beta on centos 4.3 for testing and it 'goes' very well. However, I copied some folders from my real IMAP account to a newly created zimbra imap account (via thunderbird) and all the dates on the emails were set to the 'copy' date rather than the original date of the email. This is a pain.

I saw the thread about using imapsync to perform this using the option to keep internal date stuff the same. Are there any other options at the zimbra level that I can use to achieve this ?

Cheers, and thanks for a great product.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

The network edition has an outlook connector and a pst importer that does that.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Thunderbird IMAP woes

Quote Originally Posted by bards1888
    I installed 3.2 beta on centos 4.3 for testing and it 'goes' very well. However, I copied some folders from my real IMAP account to a newly created zimbra imap account (via thunderbird) and all the dates on the emails were set to the 'copy' date rather than the original date of the email. This is a pain.

I saw the thread about using imapsync to perform this using the option to keep internal date stuff the same. Are there any other options at the zimbra level that I can use to achieve this ?
    Thunderbird is kinda broken in this respect. I believe that most other IMAP clients should just do the right thing and provide a correct INTERNALDATE when they do an APPEND.

If you do try other IMAP clients and have success (or lack of same), please report back here!
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

bards1888 is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp
    Thunderbird is kinda broken in this respect. I believe that most other IMAP clients should just do the right thing and provide a correct INTERNALDATE when they do an APPEND.

If you do try other IMAP clients and have success (or lack of same), please report back here!

Hello, I just got back around to trying this and it looks as though thunderbird is showing the correct date/timestamp but zimbra is show the 'copy' date.

I'm in the process of downloading B2 to give that a go, I'll see if the same feature exists.

Bards.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

It's best to use imapsay --syncinternaldates so the dates in Zimbra are set correctly. Thunderbird is broken in this regard.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

njw
    njw is offline Junior Member

This is not limited to Thunderbird. I am also experiencing this behavior using Outlook 2003 with an IMAP store as the source and Zimbra MAPI as the target. All dates appear correctly in Outlook but the web client displays the 'copy date'. If the target is set to Zimbra using IMAP, then the dates are represented correctly in the web client. Seems to me the problem is with the MAPI interface.
    Last edited by njw; 03-26-2007 at 05:30 PM.

nsmarler is offline Intermediate Member

Default Outlook 2003 as well

We too have two individuals using the Outlook connector with Outlook 2003, and experiencing the same issue where copying items up to the Zimbra server from PSTs on the local computer timestamps the messages with the copy date/time, not the original date/time of the message.

Is there any news on this, or is it an ongoing known issue?

Thanks in advance for your time and help...

When you're doing a migration like this, try adding "/tb" to the end of your username when logging into the Zimbra IMAP server. This tells Zimbra to use the imported messages' Date headers as their "received dates".

For instance, instead of logging in as user@example.com, you'd log in as user@example.com/tb.

nsmarler is offline Intermediate Member

Default tb switch

Thanks for the info on the /tb addition to the login name. Out of curiosity, is there any reason NOT to permanently add the /tb to the login name when supplying the account name for the Outlook connector? You stated that we should use it when “doing a migration like this”, but our need would tend to be a random drag-n-drop, rather than a discrete migration project.

The incorrect message date/timestamp issue happens any time messages are simply dragged from a PST in Outlook on the local computer onto a folder on the Zimbra server. So, would just leaving this setting on permit the desired behavior, which is to have the messages' original date/timestamp be posted correctly when they are copied onto the Zimbra server, rather than what is happening now, where the messages are copied onto the Zimbra server with today's date and timestamp?

Yeah, should work in general. Personally, I prefer to keep things in the normal, standards-compliant mode when not importing messages.

Thread Information