Thread: Deleted user accounts, need to retrieve.

Jaden is offline New Member

Default Deleted user accounts, need to retrieve.

Hi all,
    Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but a look around didn't turn up a better choice.

Anyway, There is a Zimbra install used on site here (Release 6.0.1_GA_1816.RHEL5_20090911181524 RHEL5 FOSS edition.) on which i have deleted 3 "unused" accounts. It turns out that they are used, and have a fair bit of important data (mail not so much so, but Documents and Calander events yes).

The latest backup is from last April(!), but there is one there, there are also incremental backups that get me 4 days further down the line. All these are in /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions/full-yyyy-mm-dd.hhmmss.mmm and /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions/incr-yyyy-mm-dd.hhmmss.mmm

On top of that there are a load of files in /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive aswell as a redo.log in /opt/zimbra/redolog itself.

I can take the Zimbra server offline and do as I widh, as long as I ge the data back. I have the FOSS version so it appears that zmrestore is not available to me .

It looks like the data is stored in flat files and "linked" via MYSQL db entries, so it's not just a copy over job, even though I can find .msg files (as .msg1 files) in a subfolder of the full backup.

Hours of digging about have yielded no specific reference to the kind of backup that has been done, and how to use it. Has anyone done this before? or am I totally screwed?

Happy to supply more information or RTFM if pointed to it.

h_aleksi is offline Intermediate Member

Well, generally you can restore data only from backups. Is there that data from last backup from april? You can try to find if anything is cached but, i doubt that there is any trick/"secretly done backups in hidden folder", so think thats it...

There is data in the April backup alright - how do you go about restoring it? I assume you run a process on the full, and then on each of the incrementals in turn. Is there a HOWTO lying about for this? I haven't seen one on my travels.

What is the purpose of the redo.log files then? I was under the impression that they can fill in the gap between the last backup and the current state?

h_aleksi is offline Intermediate Member

In admin console go to backup and from last backup use restore functionality.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by h_aleksi View Post
    In admin console go to backup and from last backup use restore functionality.
    According to the first post the o/p is running the Open Source version of Zimbra, there is no backup/restore functionality in that version.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

After a bit of digging about, I have concluded that the version of Zimbra used for the April 4th backup was the Network Edition (trial). The current edition in use is the Open Source version. Is there a way to use the full backup to restore to that point (I can play the redo logs then), or do I need to do this with a fresh install of the Network Version?

Is there another alternative available to me to get the FOSS version to use the contents of /opt.zimbra/backup/sessions/full-xxx?

ewilen is offline Moderator

Is it possible this is a NE trial that was converted to FOSS?

Perhaps the backup data could be copied into a new NE trial install and then restored. The account could then be exported/imported.

Quote Originally Posted by ewilen View Post
    Is it possible this is a NE trial that was converted to FOSS?

Perhaps the backup data could be copied into a new NE trial install and then restored. The account could then be exported/imported.
    I have come to the conclusion that this is what happened. I might wander off and get the NE version just to import.

I am running the zmplayredo at the moment. I'll see what that does, it's doing something (has been for hours). Anyone ever try this?

Thread Information