Thread: [SOLVED] zmcontrol behavior

vandehey is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] zmcontrol behavior

Hello, I need to do a zmcontrol stop/start for the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX fix. Does doing this stop the web client from responding while this is stopped? Will it throw up any errors to Outlook for folks using the outlook connector? I would like to do this during business hours, but I wanted to first find out what sort of impact this would have on users.

Thanks!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmamavisdctl restart
    that will just stop/start Amavisd which will then re-source the SpamAssassin configuration.

Thanks for the reply. I was going off of ajayrockrock's post in the original stickied post which says:

"restarting amavis with zmamavisctl stop/start, didn't do the trick for me. I had to shut it down (zmcontrol stop) and bring it back up for zimbra to rewrite the config files. Once I did the full restart, the conf/salocal.cf file was rewritten with the new rule."
    I'm running 5.0.13. From this post, I was assuming that zmamavisctl stop/start would not work. Can you confirm/deny?

That is indeed correct (I believe). I personally do not do it that way and instead create a file under /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin/mycompany.cf and then add any over-rides in there. That way you do not touch the core Zimbra config and it will only require a zmamavisdctl restart

Ah, OK, thanks. Well, I've already updated the core zimbra config. So now I'm back to my original question:

Hello, I need to do a zmcontrol stop/start for the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX fix. Does doing this stop the web client from responding while this is stopped? Will it throw up any errors to Outlook for folks using the outlook connector? I would like to do this during business hours, but I wanted to first find out what sort of impact this would have on users.
    Thanks again for the help.

That is probably right then; though I though zmamavisdctl did re-write the config. It could be that you need to do
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmmtactl stop ; zmmtactl start
    with amavisd being tied into Postfix.

Ok, but restarting the mta with zmmtactl would also be done with zmcontrol stop/start. I really just want to do zmcontrol, to stop/start all of the services. But I need to know how it will impact the end users. Back to my original question:

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vandehey View Post
    Ok, but restarting the mta with zmmtactl would also be done with zmcontrol stop/start. I really just want to do zmcontrol, to stop/start all of the services. But I need to know how it will impact the end users. Back to my original question:
    It will affect them by disconnecting them from the mail server while it's down.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

As Phoenix has said while ZCS is shutdown they will not be able to connect. Any existing uses of the web client will see a message saying that the service is not responding.

Thread Information