Thread: [SOLVED] how to re-install over existing message store etc.

rev.derek is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] how to re-install over existing message store etc.

Hi,

I had a well-running open-source 5.0.18 installation. I went to another spare machine intending to create a mirror. I installed full new 5.0.18 on the spare machine.

Not quite sure what happened next. I stopped the "new" machine and the original seemed fine. However, overnight the backup script stopped zimbra, copied it to the backup folder then tried to restart. It failed because ldap was looking for the "new" server.

Unfortunately, even starting the new server didn't help and one thing and another I give up.

I have all the original mail store and mysql database etc. How can I re-install 5.0.18 and rebuild the local configuration? It no longer asks me for installation details because it reads and save the old configuration - which I screwed up in the first place!

Alternatively, how can I replace the message store of a brand-new installation with the original - how do I connect the recreated users with their original mail etc.?

What more information must I give?
    Very red-faced, should have known better, Derek

O.K. Did the twenty-step re-install from [SOLVED] Same error when recovering, this time on machine with same IP address - in fact needed a few admin steps en route; step 16 needed doing at each re-install and I had to re-build a corrupt logger database (as zimbra user, logmysql zimbra_logger and then in mysql REPAIR TABLE raw_logs; where ";" is part of the command). So far so good but about to do a complete machine reboot to check - the zmcontrol start/stop/start series seems OK but I need to be sure before I mark this as solved.
    Last edited by rev.derek; 01-11-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Additional info

bdial is offline Moderator

did you name this server the same as the old one?

rev.derek is offline Active Member

Hi,

No, it was named differently but in the same domain.

I'm just reporting that I seem to have the backup up and running securely with the steps outlined above so I'll declare it solved but I have to say that backup/restore/migration and server sharing are not easy in the community versions and downgrading extremely hard. Therefore I wanted to keep an operational server and introduce an experimental one because ther first v6 release had al sorts of problems, apparently fixed in 6.0.4 but how do I know - I can't run a duplicate/mirror server?
    I'm going to make the mirror machine run in a diferent sub-net, different name and run its own name server to see if that works for me!
    The prime issue is the ldap service - only one ldap per domain or it screws, I think.
    Thanks for getting on to me so promptly and certainly I'd welcome further guidance.
    Best wishes,
    from a less red-faced but exhausted Derek

Thread Information