Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 5.0.18 Upgrade to 6.0.4 - Some Issues

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    As I said somewhere else, I had the same issue while upgrading from 5.0.18 to 5.0.21...
    It seemed to be a common problem, so we were ready for that one.

Happy New Year!
    Mark

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    News from the front:
    2) broken LDAP replication, which is in Zimbra's court at the moment.
    Now that I'm off vacation, I got a chance to look at this. The problem was that 3 CA certs were provided along with the server cert. Two of the three certs went together, one did not. The one that did not hashed to the same value as one that did, and overwrote the symlink. Removing the invalid CA cert from the chain and symlinking the hash of the correct one allowed replication to work.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    Now that I'm off vacation, I got a chance to look at this. The problem was that 3 CA certs were provided along with the server cert. Two of the three certs went together, one did not. The one that did not hashed to the same value as one that did, and overwrote the symlink. Removing the invalid CA cert from the chain and symlinking the hash of the correct one allowed replication to work.

--Quanah
    Hi Quanah,

Hope you had a nice vacation, and thank you for jumping on this so quickly upon your return!

I appreciate you testing that LDAP replication will now work; zmlocalconfig on the servers which are LDAP replicas reports that those servers are still using the LDAP master exclusively for LDAP queries. We'll change that tonight during the maintenance window and then we can scratch this one off the list.

Thank you again, and with best regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Hi Quanah,

Hope you had a nice vacation, and thank you for jumping on this so quickly upon your return!

I appreciate you testing that LDAP replication will now work; zmlocalconfig on the servers which are LDAP replicas reports that those servers are still using the LDAP master exclusively for LDAP queries. We'll change that tonight during the maintenance window and then we can scratch this one off the list.

Thank you again, and with best regards,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

It was definitely an interesting case and took a bit to track down. Hopefully the rest of your 6.0.x experience will only improve from here!

Regards,
    Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Default Multi-Server SLES Syslog-NG Resolution With ZCS 6.0.4

This post is about getting SUSE's SLES10-SP3 syslog-ng to work with Zimbra 6.

One noticeable way the issue manifests itself is where the Server Status page of the Admin Console shows all big red "X"s instead of the nice blue check marks -- even though Zimbra is actually running just fine. In our case, we also found that /var/log/zimbra-stats.log never populated with data.

I want to thank Irfan in Zimbra support for his help with this issue, as well as a fellow moderator for his post Guide: Multi-server logging with openSuSE 10.3 syslog-ng which provided inspiration.

For whatever reason, the Zimbra syslog-ng setup scripts didn't work on our system. So, we took what the scripts provided (which resulted in syslog-ng being unable to start) and went from there. We also had to keep in mind that the whole stats logging has changed from ZCS 5; MySQL is gone and in its place is the new log file /var/log/zimbra-stats.log along with a number of related changes.

So here's what we did...

First, we needed to get syslog-ng working on all the servers. The code snippet below is what we have added to all of our SLES10 SP3, ZCS 6.0.4 servers. Most of it is from the Zimbra installer, but we commented out the Zimbra-supplied "zimbra_src" and changed the "log" lines at the end to use the SuSE pre-configured source of "src" instead.

Once we could restart syslog-ng reliably on all the servers, we then ran as the zimbra user the command "zmstatctl" to stop, then start the Zimbra stats services.

At that point, /var/log/zimbra-stats.log and /var/log/zimbra.log started populating with good data and all the red "X"'s in the admin console went away.

We just made these changes today, so we'll need to confirm tomorrow that the daily mail report works correctly; since the upgrade /var/log/zimbra.log was being rotated shortly after 6:00pm, but until today we were running the syslog-ng config file we had used under 5.0.18. We also will need to confirm tomorrow that all the disk/mail/etc. usage stats update in the Admin Console as well.

But so far, so good!

Here's the relevant sections of our /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf file.

Code:
    source src {
            #
            # include internal syslog-ng messages
            # note: the internal() soure is required!
            #
            internal();

#
            # the following line will be replaced by the
            # socket list generated by SuSEconfig using
            # variables from /etc/sysconfig/syslog:
            #
            unix-dgram("/dev/log");
            unix-dgram("/var/lib/named/dev/log");

#
            # uncomment to process log messages from network:
            #
            udp(ip("0.0.0.0") port(514));
    };

#Original source line from zimbra upgrade
    #source zimbra_src {  unix-stream("/dev/log"; keep-alive(yes); max-connections(20);); }; # zimbra

#Source line from Zimbra support:
    #source zimbra_src { unix-stream("/dev/log" keep-alive(yes)  max-connections(20)); }; # zimbra

filter zimbra_local0 { facility(local0); }; # zimbra
    filter zimbra_local1 { facility(local1); }; # zimbra
    filter zimbra_auth { facility(auth); }; # zimbra
    filter zimbra_mail { facility(mail); }; # zimbra

#IMPORTANT!  Ensure one and only one of the Destination sections below
    #is active, and that it is the correct section for the server role!

#Destinations To Be Used on the syslog server:
    #destination zimbra_mail { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra")); }; # zimbra
    #destination zimbra_local1 { file("/var/log/zimbra-stats.log" owner("zimbra")); }; # zimbra
    #destination zimbra_local0 { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra")); }; # zimbra
    #destination zimbra_auth { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra")); }; # zimbra

#Destinations To Be Used on remote server:
    destination zimbra_mail { udp("ip address of syslog server goes here" port(514) ); }; # zimbra
    destination zimbra_local1 { udp("ip address of syslog server goes here" port(514) ); }; # zimbra
    destination zimbra_local0 { udp("ip address of syslog server goes here" port(514) ); }; # zimbra
    destination zimbra_auth { udp("ip address of syslog server goes here" port(514) ); }; # zimbra

#Changed all sources from "source(zimbra_src);..." to "source(src);"..."
    log { source(src); filter(zimbra_mail); destination(zimbra_mail); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(zimbra_local0); destination(zimbra_local0); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(zimbra_local1); destination(zimbra_local1); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(zimbra_auth); destination(zimbra_auth); }; # zimbra

Hope that helps other SuSE Zimbra 6 multi-server installs out there!

All the best,
    Mark

Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Thanks Quanah; I added myself to the cc list for the bug and provided a link to my post above with the changes to /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf we found which worked.

The bug is marked as "resolved" with 6.0.4, but our syslog-ng complained of syntax errors with the ZCS-supplied "zimbra_src" source, and although the modifications Irfan provided allowed syslog-ng to start, no new data was being populated to the log files. Once we edited the last four lines to use the SuSE-supplied "src" source, then the log files started getting data.

Should this bug be reopened?

All the best,
    Mark

Default Daily Mail Report Missing Data

Now that we got multi-server syslog-ng working on 6.0.4, we found we were missing data in the Daily Admin Report (the new format is terrific BTW, thanks Zimbra!)

This was the same problem another user noticed here: Daily Mail Report - missing data

So, I replied on that post and filed a bug with a proposed fix method here: Bug 43847 – Incorrect Log File Rotation Method Causing Missing Data in Daily Admin Report and Admin Console Stats Pages

Please vote for the bug if you are seeing this same issue.

In the interim, we just set the "DAILY_TIME" to 23:55 (the zimbra crontab generates the daily mail report at 23:30 each night and does spam training at 23:45) and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow...

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

It was already reopened since 6.0.4 was released, and then fixed (which is why it is now resolved/fixed rather than verified/fixed). I've specifically asked QA to make sure they test SLES10 and SLES11 with syslog-ng for this bug.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Hi Mark,

It was already reopened since 6.0.4 was released, and then fixed (which is why it is now resolved/fixed rather than verified/fixed). I've specifically asked QA to make sure they test SLES10 and SLES11 with syslog-ng for this bug.

--Quanah
    Thanks Quanah.

Anything we can do on our end to help with this issue?

All the best,
    Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information