Thread: dual piii 833 or sigle 1ghz

msentissi is offline Active Member

Thumbs up dual piii 833 or sigle 1ghz

Hello there

I have 2 servers I can choose to use as a front end (no MTA, no LDAP) and I am wondering witch one to use:
    server1:dual 833, 2GB RAM, Raid 5 (4 scsi drives -ultra 160-)
    server2:single PIII 1ghz, 2GB RAM, RAID 5 (3 scsi drives -ultra 320-)

those servers will host about 100 accounts in the begining. I am not sure if the dual slower cpu will work better than the single 1ghz (just a little bit faster ??)

goetzi is offline Project Contributor

I don't know which one is faster. But I think both machines don't have enough CPU power to handle 100 users. I have a single 600 Mhz machine with 512 MB RAM and 3 users, it's the limit.
    I never used Zimbra with more users, but what I read on the forums, your machine is too slow.

goetzi

msentissi is offline Active Member

I have read it was all about memory and HD(raid ...) ? 1ghz is fine under linux ?

goetzi is offline Project Contributor

Just try it.... I think the CPU power on both configurations is quite the same (but I don't know exactly how much Zimbra benefits from multiple CPUs)

scottnelson is offline Special Member

1. Do you have a choice/path to buy a newer server if neither works?
    2. If not, are we talking about 100 concurrent users or just 100 accounts signing on once in a while?
    3. Accessing/retrieving mail via imap/pop or using web interface as primary means on checking e-mail?

I have 40+ users on my server and 6 domains, running on Dual 1.2Ghz Dell via VMWare session with 8 other VMWare server sessions ( Guests ). Out of those users, they only login a couple of times a day via IMAP really. Web is ( so far ) an option, as I have only been running Zimbra for ~3 weeks now and am making sure that I have all running fine before I announce the web interface to my users.
    Now, that being said, it will also depend on message volume as well as a bunch of other factors that only you will know.
    My message volume isn't really high ( ~100 Messages an hour or so ) so it's one of those YMMV things really.
    YMMV=Your Milage May Vary :-)

Maybe ferret out a plan to use both ( split module install ) if it gets bogged down?
    Web and amavis/CLAMAV take some CPU so, if not using web interface, that will save some CPU but, would be a shame not to really.

Really depends on client access load and message load from what I have seen on mine.

Anyway, all IMHO I guess. ;-)

PS: I have two users pilot the web option and now use as their primary way now so, apparently they like it better than the clients they were using.
    <shrug> :-)

Scotty

Thread Information