Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IM across two different ZCS Servers

rwcanary is offline Loyal Member

Question IM across two different ZCS Servers

I have two separate ZCS server, each hosting different domains and on different IP addresses, how do get IM client on host "A" to talk to IM client on host "B"? When adding a buddy it only gives the option of Zimbra (localhost)
    Robert Canary
    OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm

LMStone is offline Moderator

Are both servers in the same Zimbra farm? In other words, do you see both servers when you log in to the Admin Console?

All the best,
    Mark

They are both in the same rack. Same CLass C IP block. I have often wondered how I coould get them both up on the same admin screen. I guess that will be my next RTFM project. But to answer your question, no, they do not show up on the same admin screen.
    Robert Canary

Zimbra-to-Zimbra server IM is per Zimbra farm (LDAP).

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but when you set up the second ZCS server curious why you chose to make it totally independent instead of expanding your existing single-server install to a multi-server install?

Happy Holidays,
    Mark

Because I couldn't figure out what/how to do it. It keeps telling me the LDAP installation is mandatory, and that I can tell it to use an external LDAP for authentication. But I never found out how to split two server and use one LDAP. I would like to put the LDAP on its own server all together.
    Robert Canary

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rwcanary View Post
    Because I couldn't figure out what/how to do it. It keeps telling me the LDAP installation is mandatory, and that I can tell it to use an external LDAP for authentication. But I never found out how to split two server and use one LDAP. I would like to put the LDAP on its own server all together.
    How about a multi-server install?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

There is a separate multi-server installation guide with reasonably good step-by-step procedures. The architecture section up front does a good job of explaining how to scale a unified Zimbra system across multiple servers.

Using external LDAP for authentication is generally something different; that's for having Zimbra authenticate against, for example, a Windows Active Directory. Though in a multi-server install, the second mailbox server becomes an LDAP replica, so you need to change the installer's default LDAP settings to point it to the first Zimbra server.

I'd follow the link Bill provide in his post, and consider some downtime to export the mailboxes on the second server and (temporarily) import them onto the first server. Then, blow away the second server, and rebuild it in a multi-server manner. You can then use the admin console to move mailboxes between the servers, and use COSs to control which domains's mailboxes live on which of the two servers. If you install the proxy on one of the servers, then users can just go to the proxy web address and you can move the mailboxes between the server however you see fit with no impact to the end users.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Well its after installing two different servers. The first we already had, the second one happened because the owner wasn't capable of maintaining it. So its here with me. What I was trying to figure out,is how do I setup a new machine/s (as I did), and create a multi-server environment, without trashing the existing standalone server.
    Robert Canary

The existing server is Rev 5 the new one Rev 6
    Robert Canary

What I was trying to figure out,is how do I setup a new machine/s (as I did), and create a multi-server environment, without trashing the existing standalone server.
    Someone else may have a trick I don't know about, but to my knowledge you cannot merge two Zimbra installations like that.

Like I said, export the mailboxes from one server (server "A") import them into the other server, then wipe and rebuild server A as the second server of a proper multiserver install

But first you will need to get both systems to the same version; I suggest 6.0.4.

Sorry to deliver bad news; I know this is not what you want to hear...

All the best
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information