Thread: Emails copied to Zimbra via IMAP unsearchable

trahloc is offline New Member

Question Emails copied to Zimbra via IMAP unsearchable

Hello,

Loving Zimbra, great mail client/server and so far haven't seen any major issue with it that I can't find a workaround for. This particular one I can use thunderbird to accomplish but it would be great if Zimbra did it internally. Let me describe what I did and that should hopefully make my title clearer.

I was reading up on how to copy over email from my old mail server to the new zimbra server. Using the cli command required several yum packages to be installed and I'd rather keep my install slim as its in an openvz centos 5.4 vps. I decided to copy everything over using standard IMAP abilities, so I loaded thunderbird up which had my old emails and added my Zimbra account to it, then I just copied all the emails I wanted saved to the Zimbra folder. Worked beautifully. Everything I sent over showed up damn near instantly, about 30k emails.

The one thing that isn't working is none of those emails copied over via IMAP are searchable. It looks like Zimbra must create the search index upon reception of the emails through normal smtp or something. Is there anyway to have it reindex the emails? Resending the emails isn't an option as keeping the original dates is critical to their usefulness to me, thanks for any help!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This isn't a Zimbra Desktop question, I'll move it to the correct forum for you.

You re-index a mailbox from the Admin UI/Accounts page.

Quote Originally Posted by trahloc View Post
    Using the cli command required several yum packages to be installed and I'd rather keep my install slim as its in an openvz centos 5.4 vps.
    If you'e installed NE on an openvz (if that's what you've done) you invalidate your support for Zimbra by running it on an unsupported platform?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

trahloc is offline New Member

Thanks for the answer! I just installed it but so far I'm not using any feature that I'm aware of that isn't available in the OS version so I'll most likely redo it or see how smoothly it changes versions. Seems to work fine in openvz/centos with the exception of a few small things that I haven't really needed them, like the stats. Looking to move family/friends over to it though as this is by far the best web + desktop experience I've seen yet. Again thank you for the assistance.

Thread Information