Thread: mail not received

geekgurl is offline New Member

Default mail not received

I have one user reporting that he has not received mail to his inbox between Nov 27th and Dec 1. He has received these messages through his mobile device so he is aware that there are messages that should be in his inbox but they will not download to Outlook. When I look at the web-client only 1 or 2 messages were received during that period. Is there a way to force the messages from that period to resend to this user?

Thanks!

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Once a message is sent you can't send it again... this user didn't happen to configure his mobile device with POP did he? If he did then unless he enabled the option to leave messages on the server the messages are probably sitting on his mobile device.

Or are the 1-2 messages all he received? In that case something is causing Outlook to not connect to the server. If so you should check /opt/zimbra/log/audit.log or /opt/zimbra/mailbox.log to make sure it is actually connecting.

geekgurl is offline New Member

the user's mobile device is set as IMAP. He received all messages on the mobile device but only 1 or 2 through Outlook. I will check the logs and see what I can see

LMStone is offline Moderator

POP or IMAP, sounds like the mobile device is configured to delete the emails off the Zimbra server when it is downloading them.

That the mobile device does a periodic IMAP check/download of the Inbox could explain why some emails are making into Outlook; new mail arrives after the mobile device first sweeps the Zimbra server, Outlook thereafter checks the Zimbra Inbox and gets those mails before the mobile device does its next check.

Generally, we like to limit the use of IMAP and POP for two reasons primarily. IMAP is very resource intensive because most IMAP clients open up numerous connections to the server and are very "chatty", thus consuming server resources well above and beyond what the web interface does. Second, we see these same kind of "missing" email issues too frequently from end users who don't understand (and IMHO shouldn't have to understand) the nuances and pitfalls of configuring various mailbox checking protocols.

Consequently, we pretty much insist our clients use the web interface and Zimbra Desktop, and if they are OK to pony up for Professional licenses, then they can use the Outlook Connector, proper Zimbra Mobile (no IMAP) and the iSync Connector.

Sticking to that philosophy saves our clients and us needless frustration and hassle.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information