Thread: New Rollout of Network Edition

pcjackson is offline Active Member

Exclamation New Rollout of Network Edition

We just rolled out a new Zimbra Network Edition installation (50 users). We are not taking advantage of a clustered installation - all features of Zimbra are hosted on an HP DL320 G3, 3.4GHZ, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD running RHEL 4, update 2.

Everything seems to work wonderfully. Our users, after some initial Q&A, respond positvely to all aspects of Zimbra but speed of the user interface. These users are accessing Zimbra, for the most part, on our LAN (gigabit) using Firefox 1.5.0.4. We have a mix of Dell computers (all +1GHZ, +512MB) running Windows XP and Intel iMac's w/ Firefox 1.5.0.4. The most important user, our CEO, is on a Dual G5 PPC.

I'm investigating some ways to increase the speed of the Zimbra user interface. I realize we only have one HD, and that could possibly limit the speed in which we write/retrieve data. As well, only one processor (the GL320 only supports one processor). Is adding additional RAM (to total 4GB) going to maximize the user experience?

Unfairly but realistically the Zimbra interface is being compared to Horde, a popular web-based E-mail client we used to use. While I realize Zimbra offers huge benefits beyond what Horde offered, our users enjoyed the snappy response it offered.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Memory & Raid would be my advice for performance. You users should only see the initial screen as being 'slow', that's when all the initial data is sent to the browser.

Is there anything specific they have comments on - is it searches, creating new mail, switching folders etc that seem to cause them problems?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default ...

I've ordered an additonal 3 GB of RAM, which will give that system 4GB's.

As for RAID, it will provide redundancy, yes, but that surely won't address the speed issue?

In regards to 'speed', if you change the "time" of an appointment (by dragging the appointment box), the server can take 1-2 seconds to respond. Where as other times, like now, it's snappy fast. It does seem to vary.

A feature request, it would be nice if they indicated historic server load, ram usage within the admin console. This could be done with snmp/mrtg. I've set something like this up for myself which should be a helpful tool.

gmsmith is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pcjackson
    I've ordered an additonal 3 GB of RAM, which will give that system 4GB's.

As for RAID, it will provide redundancy, yes, but that surely won't address the speed issue?

In regards to 'speed', if you change the "time" of an appointment (by dragging the appointment box), the server can take 1-2 seconds to respond. Where as other times, like now, it's snappy fast. It does seem to vary.

A feature request, it would be nice if they indicated historic server load, ram usage within the admin console. This could be done with snmp/mrtg. I've set something like this up for myself which should be a helpful tool.
    phoenix certainly has more experience with this then I do, but I would say your largest issue at this point is ram...

The raid will allow better disc access for indexing and writing, which will likely be an issue in the future for you. The ram I would imagine will take care of your issue for the most part. 50 users is a small install. I would imagine a second processor would be good as well, but the DL320 is limited to 1 processor (I just ordered 2 the other day myself).

Agreed. I'll figure out a way to address a before/after comparison for the record.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

RAM is certainly the thing that will give you the most benefit. Spreading data across multipe drives and controllers will also help performance as will RAID, the benefit will depend on how loaded your server is. You don't say whether your HD is on a single SATA or IDE controller, I assume they're on a single PCI bus? Adding a good SCSI or even SATA raid controller in a PCI-x slot will improve that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

robbyt is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    RAM is certainly the thing that will give you the most benefit. Spreading data across multipe drives and controllers will also help performance as will RAID, the benefit will depend on how loaded your server is. You don't say whether your HD is on a single SATA or IDE controller, I assume they're on a single PCI bus? Adding a good SCSI or even SATA raid controller in a PCI-x slot will improve that.
    RAID5 on a good raid controller will give a boost to multi-user r/w speeds.

I _love_ anything by 3ware

Thread Information