Thread: [SOLVED] Receive system email through Zimbra

internalkernel is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] Receive system email through Zimbra

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and have installed logcheck. Logcheck usually sends it's email through exim or some other MTA. My system mail, i.e. root@localhost, is not being picked up by zimbra.

I've adjusted my /etc/aliases - root: user@mydomain.com

I've tried adding: set sendmail=/opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail to my /etc/mail.rc

I've even tried moving /usr/sbin/exim4 and sym-linking /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail. So, that zimbra's sendmail would be called in place of the standard MTA for my system...

However, when then postfix complains about: status=bounced (mail for mail.thisdomain.com loops back to myself)

I remember having this working properly in my last install with Zimbra 5.02. Any hints?

Thanks
    Daniel

Update:

All attempts to replace exim with zimbra's default mailer have resulted in this error in zimbra.log:

Nov 28 08:13:26 mail postfix/smtp[24136]: 724FF16A047: to=<root@mail.mydomain.com>, relay=none, delay=2.7, delays=1.3/1.3/0.16/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mail.mydomain.com loops back to myself)

Is there some setting in zimbra that I'm missing?

I read a some tutorials that had to do with editing postfix.conf to add a localhost relay entry. Although, I'm not sure this is the way to go with zimbra.

I've attempted editing /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf:

mydestination = localhost (which is the default)

my attempted changes:

mydestination = localhost $myhostname

However - my changes are reverted after postfix reload...

What am I missing here? I know it's something simple... I don't think manually editing zimbra's postfix conf files is the correct approach. Where/How can I change this through either zmprov or the admin login?

Thanks

Default Solved

Well, I guess in case anyone else has this issue - I'll wrap it up for you...

After much gnashing of teeth, cursing and swearing... I purged exim completely... then issued a simple command:

Code:
    update-alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail 90
    logcheck now sends mail to zimbra from the local system... I still don't understand what behavior changed from 5.02 to 6 - if someone could enlighten me around that I would be most appreciative...

Thanks

borngunners is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by internalkernel View Post

After much gnashing of teeth, cursing and swearing... I purged exim completely... then issued a simple command:

Code:
    update-alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail 90
    logcheck now sends mail to zimbra from the local system... I still don't understand what behavior changed from 5.02 to 6 - if someone could enlighten me around that I would be most appreciative...

Thanks
    What will happen if you reboot your server? will sendmail of the root computer take precedent ofr the zimbra sendmail, causing zimbra mta to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by borngunners View Post
    What will happen if you reboot your server? will sendmail of the root computer take precedent ofr the zimbra sendmail, causing zimbra mta to stop?
    No, sendmail is stopped and doesn't start with the machine - essentially turned off and wasting space unfortunately. Logcheck requires an MTA to be installed.

The update-alternatives command only updates system symlinks in /etc/alternatives. The end result is making my system use the zimbra sendmail instance as the default mailer for the system. /etc/alternatives allows for multiple packages of the same application to be installed and through this mechanism one is defined as a system default.

I've rebooted since then to make sure and everything seems to be functional. Although, I have to say this seems like new behavior to me in zcs 6, I've never had to do this previously...

Daniel

infajb is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by internalkernel View Post

Code:

Thanks
    Hi, if you understand spanish, here is a tutorial that I think it can be useful:
    zimbra mta logwatch Kamus Blog

borngunners is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by infajb View Post
    Hi, if you understand spanish, here is a tutorial that I think it can be useful:
    zimbra mta logwatch Kamus Blog
    How do I unintsall the update-alternatives as it is putting my system offline...

Thread Information