Thread: [SOLVED] Get external emails from another zimbra server

snake_eyes is offline Advanced Member

Default [SOLVED] Get external emails from another zimbra server

Hello,

I just wanna share this idea with you and I hope to get the answer.

Scenario:
    Let's say we have a zimbra server installed in X country and another server in USA which is the main domain mail.mydomain.com, we have users in X Y Z countries, all the users have accounts at mydomain.com, now all the users that are in Y and Z countries they should pull their mails directly from USA server unlike the other users that are in X country they should get their mails from zimbra server which is exists locally in their office.

Solution:
    Simply when I send to user@mydomain.com it must be deliver to the USA server, while the user@mydomain.com owner is exists on X country he should pull his mail via zimbra.mydomain.com, in zimbra server must create his user and set an interval to pull his mails from the main server, in this case all the users will get their mail from the USA unless the X users will get their mails from zimbra because there is an interval will check the mail.mydomain.com via imap or POP3

The above scenario is the idea and I have the logically solution but I don't know how to configure zimbra. I hope you share also your information to configure zimbra as well.

Cheers,
    Last edited by snake_eyes; 11-26-2009 at 04:02 AM.
    - In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?
    - I am Running Linux.. Finally, my PC is valid & Reliable Hereafter.

Dirk is offline Moderator

This would need replication between the geographically seperate servers, as well as a method to select the correct server via a DNS solution.

I dont recommend trying to do this, and I dont think it's really necessary. If the zimbra server is connected to a good enough internet connection, it just wont matter where it's physically located.

Thank you for your advice, but in my case this is what I'm looking for, I wanna replicate some accounts in the main server into the zimbra server.

The purpose of this scenario is to decrease the traffic of the main server and increase speed of the mail checking inside the X country instead of the main server in the USA.

So how do I make this solution as per the case needed?

Cheers,

I'm in the UK and have a gmail account, but that is held in the US, I also have a hotmail account, but that has a hotmail.co.uk suffix rather than the hotmail.com one, so I assume that's using UK servers.

I'm not at all sure that it's possible to what you are trying to do. The problem I see if this:

Server and users in America
    Server and users in UK

Internet user in Australia sends an email to one of your UK users, how does the Australian ISP know to route the email to the UK when the DNS suffix is the same as the US one?
    Or, the same user in Australia sends an email to all of your users, which server does it go to?

Hopefully someone else will have a better handle on this, but I cant see a way to make it work at all, let along work reliably. I'd have to say the answer to any problems you may be having would be better addressed with an increase in bandwidth rather than installing servers in a different country.
    If the

Internet user in Australia sends an email to one of your UK users, how does the Australian ISP know to route the email to the UK when the DNS suffix is the same as the US one?
    Or, the same user in Australia sends an email to all of your users, which server does it go to?
    yes my dear that is why I said that the USA server is the main, in this case if the Australia sends an email to mydomain.com it will deliver the emails immediately to USA because the mx pointed to there, from UK the interval of zimbra will check the USA server if there are a new emails it will replicate them else will ignore...

Please note that not all the users will be replicated, I should hook the postfix by defining the username and password of the UK users in order to pull them from the USA servers.

still waiting the experts to help me!

Cheers,

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snake_eyes View Post
    Thank you for your advice, but in my case this is what I'm looking for, I wanna replicate some accounts in the main server into the zimbra server.

The purpose of this scenario is to decrease the traffic of the main server and increase speed of the mail checking inside the X country instead of the main server in the USA.
    In your scenario I don't believe it will a) reduce the traffic on your 'main' server nor b) increase the 'speed of mail checking'.

You would be attempting to download mail from your USA server on a regular basis (no reduction in load on that server) and you would have a delay between the time it gets delivered to your USA server and the time it takes to download to a local 'server'. You'd be far better investing in a better infrastructure and equipment and all your users can get their mail from the same server without the complication you're trying to introduce.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Okay but I wanna this scenario to be applied on the zimbra server because the email is the official communication way between our branches, so all the branches of X country should get the emails from the local server not from the USA server. anyway this is the requirements so how do I apply this solution in zimbra?

I think it's postfix configuration in my mind what about your opinion?

Cheers,

I was hoping that someone would have come up with a suggestion, there's a sufficient range of users on these forums that would have an experience field wide enough that if it was possible or wise to do what you suggest, then someone would know how.

To my non-expert mind, I see the following solutions:

Option 1 -Install Zimbra servers at each site/country but run them as seperate domains, so user@company.com and user.company.co.uk, for example.
    Option 2 -Get a fast internet connection at each site.
    Option 3 -Host the single zimbra server somewhere else, so it's not local to any user, then all users see the same access times.

I know that's not what you are after, if you still want to do it the way you describe, I can only suggest that you build a couple of zimbra instances and try it out, you could easily run them in a VM for testing purposes and it'll only cost you time.

Hello,
    Option 2 -Get a fast internet connection at each site.
    There is another solution can be solve my matter, check this link out: Retrieving Emails From Remote Servers With fetchmail (Debian Etch) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    Please note that I tried to install the postfix and fetch mail and I think it gonna be okay, but what about the fetchmail and postfix of zimbra?

Cheers,

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Try searching the forums for fetchmail, you will find quite a bit of information on integrating it.

Thread Information