Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deferred Mail Problem

altimage is offline Active Member

Default Deferred Mail Problem

We have sudenly started having a problem with all mail being deferred. The server has been running fo quite a while with no issues...this seems to have just spontaneously happened. Here's an example of a message being deferred in the log (email address changed of course):

Jun 22 08:28:12 srv161 postfix/qmgr[16714]: B23D11D351BB: to=<hidenaddress@somedomain.com>, relay=none, delay=1182, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: conversation with 127.0.0
    .1[127.0.0.1] timed out while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

I havent seen any errors in any of the logs (zimbra, catalina, etc). Upgraded to the latest version of zcs to see if the problem corrected itself. I made a change in teh host file to emsure that the domain pings to localhost:

[zimbra@srv161 ~]$ ping ai.4ph.com
    PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.060 ms

DNS resolution is turned off in both server and global settings.

We have about 4500 messages all failing like this. Basically nothing is getting through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    AltImage

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Are these local emails you're talking about? How are you delivering outside mail without DNS being used? Is this behind a NAT router? It sounds like a DNS problem but, as you say, you're not using it.

[edit] Sorry about the duplicate, I seem to have posted it twice.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

they're mostly messages sent from outside addresses to our users with Zimbra accounts. There are also messages sent from internal addresses to other internal addresses. The weird thing is that is just happened with no settings changes. I had been using DNS lookups, but turned it off trying to fix this. I had this issue yesterday too and it seems to fix itself for several hours, but then went back to reaking again. It seems to be breaking at night. I've noticed that there's a dspam_clean cron job thats running at night and it seems to run a long time....timing may coincide with the email being deferred, but I cant be positive. It makes me feel like it has something to do with the antispam, but unfortunately, nothing showns in the logs.

Since my first post, I turned DNS lookups back on since it was like that originally when it was working. Didn't make a diference either way. Won't turing it of affect sending email to outside domains?

AltImage
    Last edited by altimage; 06-22-2006 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

it looks like tomcat is hung. is there still any access to pop/imap/web client when this happens?

can you post any /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/stacktrace.<pid> files from a time when you restarted the server when it was in this state?

what do you get for "zmcontrol status"? is it just in this state perpetually?

btw, i don't think this is a dns problem

All client access seems to work fine. I can getinto webmail, pop clients dont throw errors and zimbra admin works fine. here's the latest stack trace:

http://storite.4ph.com/stacktrace.txt

Quote Originally Posted by bobby
    it looks like tomcat is hung. is there still any access to pop/imap/web client when this happens?

can you post any /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/stacktrace.<pid> files from a time when you restarted the server when it was in this state?

i was barking up the wrong tree before. this problem seems to be related to this:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8251
    Bug 8251 - dspam needs to have option for sql backend, hash driver slow in large installs

andreturpin Guest

Default No resolution listed in bug report?

Hello there,
    following along with this thread, it's word for word the symptoms I'm having with ZCS (Release 3.1.3_GA_474.RHEL4_20060609153439 CentOS4 FOSS edition).

Having a look at the bug report 8251 just doesn't display any information for resolution of the bug. Since it's an older version I'd normally just upgrade to a newer version of Zimbra, but I'm geographically separated from the server (helping a client in another province) and don't want to undertake an upgrade without physical access to the server.

Any words of advice on this? Thanks much!

~Andre

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Have you tried disabling DSPAM?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

zmcontrol stop
    cd /opt/zimbra/dspam/var/dspam/z/i
    mv zimbra foo
    rm -rf foo &
    zmcontrol start
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information