Thread: Zimbra Losing Mail

mutuku is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra Losing Mail

Hellos,

I am having a issue where users are complaining they are losing mail from the web interface.

I have set the email rentention policy to 30 days. This is happening before 30 days

James

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mutuku View Post
    I am having a issue where users are complaining they are losing mail from the web interface.
    Zimbra doesn't lose mail, it's most likely the users have filters that are deleting the email or they are deleting them themselves.
    I have set the email rentention policy to 30 days. This is happening before 30 days
    Why have you set a retention policy for email? The point of a mail server is that the mail remains there for the users to access.

Do you have any backup of your server that you could restore the mail from? You post is lacking a lot of detail on what version of Zimbra you're using, mail is missing, when it goes missing etc.

Please update your forum profile with the output of the following (do not post it in this thread):

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have checked some of the accounts and there are no filters set. It would be hard for users to delete emails ad then complain.

This might have happened when all users received an email from a user "robot@<mydomain.com>". This user is not in the zimbra accounts list. The mail had an attachment prompting users to click on it.

I don't have a backup. Users says mail is missing in a random order. I have updated my profile with the zimbra version

Dirk is offline Moderator

Looking for the cause of a missing mail is always difficult because you are looking for something that isnt there! It's hard to point at it and say, look that one is missing.

It sounds like you are saying that a number of users clicked an email that may have been a virus?

It's also quite normal for someone to delete an email, then empty it from the trash and then complain that the message has been lost. I have personally seen this before.

Are messages still being lost, do you use the same system, are you losing mail too?

I was not using the mail server, but I did set a account a few days ago and so far I have not lost mail

Just out if curiosity...I was going through zimbra.log ad the lines below drew my attention

Nov 19 09:24:30 mail zimbramon[19160]: 19160:info: zmmtaconfig: Couldn't remove /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf: Permission denied
    Nov 19 09:24:30 mail zimbramon[19160]: 19160:info: zmmtaconfig: Couldn't remove /opt/zimbra/conf/clamd.conf: Permission denied
    Nov 19 09:24:30 mail zimbramon[19160]: 19160:info: zmmtaconfig: Couldn't remove /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_header_checks: Permission denied
    Nov 19 09:24:30 mail zimbramon[19160]: 19160:info: zmmtaconfig: Couldn't remove /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf: Permission denied
    Nov 19 09:24:30 mail zimbramon[19160]: 19160:info: zmmtaconfig: Couldn't remove /opt/zimbra/conf/freshclam.conf: Permission denied

Is this normal?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I have checked some of the accounts and there are no filters set. It would be hard for users to delete emails ad then complain.
    As Dirk has already mentioned, it's impossible to prove that an email has 'disappeared' and who removed it. I can say that I've never seen and incident of 'missing' mail that hasn't been caused by a user either with a filter or deleting it themselves.

The uid & gid on the files you mention above should be zimbra:zimbra, I'd suggest you shutdown zimbra the run the following as root:

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms -extended
    Restart Zimbra and check the logs for any error messages.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information